Superstitions

For anything not related to psychology
firegal
Team Member

Superstitions

Post by firegal » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:10 pm

On my way to the job interview the other day I saw 2 magpies by the side of the road and found myself genuinely comforted and cheered by this. I also always salute and say good morning/good afternoon if I see a magpie on his own, and though my day isn't ruined and it won't haunt me or worry me, it always makes me feel just a teensy bit uneasy.

I don't consider myself at all superstitious and I struggle to think of any other superstition I follow anywhere near as consistently as this, but the magpies thing has been a firm one of mine for a long time.

So just for fun, given that we're all a bunch of rational and scientifically minded individuals, how many of us do have superstitions that we actually find ourselves believing in?

sarahg

Re: Superstitions

Post by sarahg » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Whenever I use the phrase 'touch wood' - I feel a little uneasy if I don't find some wood to tap!
In instances where I can't find a piece of wood, I tap my head.. :P

rachyp

Post by rachyp » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:21 pm

When my partner says things like "I'm surprised it hasn't rained yet" I always say "shh! You'll curse it!". He always complains that I can't really mean that, but sometimes I kind of do! :oops:

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:14 pm

sarahg wrote:Whenever I use the phrase 'touch wood' - I feel a little uneasy if I don't find some wood to tap!
In instances where I can't find a piece of wood, I tap my head.. :P
Ditto!

I also say good morning to magpies, and count them.

I also say "Hi Nanny" to the moon and random clicks of the kettle, thanks to an old habit of my mother's that I picked up... I never even met the great-grandmother in question :oops:

I don't think I really have any others, although I used to touch red when I saw a Royal Mail van too.

I maintain that they're just habits rather than superstitions though ;)

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 pm

I do the magpie thing, except I feel like once I've seen a single magpie, there's nothing to be done but suffer my fate.

Touch wood too.

And open umbrellas inside.

And walking under ladders.

Sometimes walking on cracks bothers me if I'm already stressed.

"jinxing" generally.

...At the same time, none of these really bother me all that much (but the magpie one the most!)

Saf

Post by Saf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:11 pm

"Evil Eye"

The notion that envy or jealousy from others can cause you harm.

Completely irrational but I do find it slipping through my head whenever something goes wrong :roll:

LearnLiveDream

Post by LearnLiveDream » Thu May 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Definitely got to touch some wood!

I don’t like to walk over a single drain cover - I’ll avoid it if I can and walk over a pair (don’t know WHERE this came from though?) and I try not to walk on cracks.. although sometimes this can just look ridiculous!!!! :lol:

NotReally

Post by NotReally » Thu May 10, 2018 10:07 pm

LearnLiveDream wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:10 pm

I don’t like to walk over a single drain cover - I’ll avoid it if I can and walk over a pair (don’t know WHERE this came from though?) and I try not to walk on cracks.. although sometimes this can just look ridiculous!!!! :lol:
Careful with that first sentence, jimmy carr would have a field day with that! :D

Re: evil eye. Is that a superstition though? The evil eye is certainly "a thing" in a religious context, but religions (particularly monotheistic religions) are quite sceptical of superstitions in general...

Edit: changed my mind :D had a look at the definition of superstition, as well as the examples given, and now doubt just how sceptical religions would be about it. I think it was something my college sociology teacher said that has just stuck tbh.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Fri May 11, 2018 2:54 am

Saying "bless you" when you sneeze is just a superstition, but it feels weird to sneeze with someone else present and remain unblessed!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

LearnLiveDream

Post by LearnLiveDream » Sat May 12, 2018 5:46 pm

NotReally wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:07 pm
LearnLiveDream wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Careful with that first sentence, jimmy carr would have a field day with that! :D

Re: evil eye. Is that a superstition though? The evil eye is certainly "a thing" in a religious context, but religions (particularly monotheistic religions) are quite sceptical of superstitions in general...

Edit: changed my mind :D had a look at the definition of superstition, as well as the examples given, and now doubt just how sceptical religions would be about it. I think it was something my college sociology teacher said that has just stuck tbh.
:lol: I walked right into that one! Happens far too often... :oops: