Escaping IAPT

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Escaping IAPT

Post by miriam » Mon May 28, 2018 1:56 pm

Some clinical courses would be fine with that, including those with assessment days, and you have little to lose by applying. But there are cbt therapist posts and more general therapist posts that you could apply for. I'd check third sector and private organisations as well as nhs jobs and apply for a few different things to get a feel for what is available. And I'd call the contact point for jobs that specify a core profession and see if you are eligible rather than assuming you are not too. Think of it as doing a scoping exercise and intentionally set your nets wider and see what the options are.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Playinginthesun

Post by Playinginthesun » Tue May 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks Miriam for your reply and advice - all good suggestions to follow up on rather than just making assumptions!
:)

theballboy

Post by theballboy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm

light0end0tunnel wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:18 am
I can totally relate to these posts about escaping IAPT. I started as a graduate mental health worker in 2008 and then did the high intensity training which I finished 5 years ago and have been working in IAPT ever since. For the past couple of years I have known that I need to leave IAPT but have felt stuck at what to do. I decided to apply for the clinical psyc training. This was my initial intention when leaving uni but I actually really enjoyed IAPT so worked there for several years. I didn't get any interviews the first year of applying for the doctorate but got 2 this year and offered a place. Although the range of experience is an down side, I really felt the depth of my experience helped with many of the interview questions. So it is possible to have worked in IAPT for several years and still get into training. Yes it means studying for 3 years but I see it as short term pain for long term gain.

I hope you manage to find something that is right for you. I just wanted you to know that us long term IAPTers can still get onto training :D
Would love to find out how you feel about your decision now that I estimate you are entering your 3rd year? Has it been worth it? Are you enjoying the training and placements and looking forward to the work?

Thanks in advance

light0end0tunnel

Post by light0end0tunnel » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am

"Would love to find out how you feel about your decision now that I estimate you are entering your 3rd year? Has it been worth it? Are you enjoying the training and placements and looking forward to the work?"

I am absolutely loving the course! I don't have a single regret. I'm much happier in myself for so many reasons. Although the course is demanding, I personally am finding it easier than working in IAPT. I have found a couple of areas that I am really enjoying working in. I'm still not entirely sure which direction I will go in work wise once qualified but, I feel for the first time in a long time that I have options! There's such a range of places to work as a clin psyc and I'm really enjoying the variety that comes with the role. If anyone is considering applying I would highly recommend it!!