Anybody been in teaching beforehand?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
carlaluna

Anybody been in teaching beforehand?

Post by carlaluna » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Hello everyone,

It’s my first post on here so apologies if it’s incorrect place.
I am currently a primary school teacher from the Teach First leadership development programme. I am going into my third year of teaching next year and will be working closely alongside children with social and emotional issues(although my role will still be class teacher) and I have also worked with children with learning disabilities. My school is not a SEND school but it does have an above average SEND intake and I will be working with those children more closely as a result of the project I am starting next year.

My aim is to leave after next year (so July 2019) and begin getting more relevant clinical experience. I am aware teaching is not particularly relevant but I did begin my journey hoping to be an educational psychologist before realising this is not where my passions lie. My question is- am I at a huge disadvantage here? I am 23 this year so will be 24 when I leave next year. I was planning on trying to go straight for a Clinical Applications masters but not sure how competitive it is and whether to try getting more clinical experience first. I should add that I do have a BPS accredited Bsc in Psychology. Would it be sensible to try and go for experience with a different cohort of clients or get my foot in the door with something relevant with children and mental health ?

Thanks so much for any help and guidance you can offer!

maven
Site Admin

Re: Anybody been in teaching beforehand?

Post by maven » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:12 pm

You aren't old, and you bring lots of transferable skills. I'd apply for some AP posts in child and family services (private as well as NHS) and that MSc if you fancy it, and see what comes up. Courses are less competitive than AP roles (although private AP roles are much less competitive than NHS ones) and applications for the clinical doctorate, so it might be a nice way back towards a more clinical role. You could also volunteer with a completely new client group, demonstrating those transferable skills and gain breadth that way. Lots of options really.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

carlaluna

Post by carlaluna » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks so much for your reply- I will look into AP roles to do with children and families. It’s really reassuring to read your response thankyou .

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:22 am

Hi Caraluna,

I wouldn’t underestimate the relevance of your current experience. My background was primary then HE teaching and I reflected on relevant teaching experience in my application and interviews (I’m now a 2nd year trainee). I never had any traditional clinical experience or AP roles but had additional research experience to draw on. It’s my understanding that AP jobs help but aren’t essential. Good luck with your clinpsy journey.

Pixie

carlaluna

Post by carlaluna » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Thank you Pixie that's really reassuring to read :)
The hard thing is knowing I have a much better chance in educational but I know in my heart I would prefer clinical.

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 pm

I was exactly the same, having decided when I was in primary school that I wanted to be an ed psych after my brother saw one, but even with UG and PG qualifications geared towards ed psych it was a wise decision to pursue clinical training and my previous experience was, thankfully, recognised. All the best, Pixie