How to get involved in research and publishing as an AP

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
serintais

How to get involved in research and publishing as an AP

Post by serintais » Wed May 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Hello everyone. I'm wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice.
I wondered about how people have gone about getting involved in research and writing up your research for publication while working as an AP within the NHS?
I had an idea after identifying a gap in our service, and wanted to evaluate this qualitatively. There was a large supporting evidence base, and i wrote a project protocol compete with timeline and ethics proposal- I was keen!
However as time has gone on there just seem to be so many barriers to getting research started within services, let alone publishing. My supervisor okayed the project but was incredibly busy and didn't have the time to read the protocol. When I attempted to "shorten" the project into something simple, I found I would still need ethics- a lengthy process within the NHS. As many AP positions within the NHS are one year fixed contract,so I feel at a bit of a loss.

Is it a case of doing some extra work alongside your paid work? are their routes for instigating this within the NHS?

As we work in an evidence based profession I aspire to contribute to the evidence base! But and so many roadblocks sadly make this very difficult.

Many thanks,

miriam
Site Admin

Re: How to get involved in research and publishing as an AP

Post by miriam » Fri May 11, 2018 2:22 am

I published quite a lot of papers as an AP, as I had a mainly research role, and I've managed to publish (or at least present at conferences) with APs I've supervised with a reasonable success rate since. I think my main strategy is just about picking things that are service evaluations and not research, and therefore don't need ethical approval as they don't change practise. Or doing research with incidental data - my latest research paper/conference presentation is about the scores on conners forms for children in care and going through the family courts, and how this is likely to represent a response to trauma rather than coincidental ADHD, for example. I don't need consent to look back at data I gathered for clinical reasons and analyse it differently, yet the finding is novel and interesting enough to publish/present.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com