AP, but with no intention of qualifying?

Your chance to ask for advice on any aspect of career development that doesn't fit in any of the above categories
NotReally

AP, but with no intention of qualifying?

Post by NotReally » Fri May 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi All

So I met someone today who is a friend of a friend, and they currently work as an AP (small-to-medium sized private company). They mentioned although they wanted to have a career in mental health in the long term, they didn't really have a desire to qualify as a CP/FP/OP etc. This threw me a bit, as this forum is littered with advice about the different routes to qualifying, but I've never really heard of someone who is an AP but who doesn't really want to take it further (although i'm sure they do, just not in CP if you know what I mean). Is this actually quite common and I need to get out more, or is it as rare as I think it is?

maven
Site Admin

Re: AP, but with no intention of qualifying?

Post by maven » Mon May 14, 2018 2:24 am

AP posts are mainly designed as stepping stones towards clinical, and not many people who could secure a competitive graduate position like that would be satisfied with the low salary and lack of autonomy in the long term. But I've known one or two people who just loved the hands on nature of the job and had no higher aspirations, and it worked well for the employer too, as they gained a member of staff who had great expertise in that role and client group. So, I'd say fairly unusual but not unheard of.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

NotReally

Post by NotReally » Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 am

Thanks for that maven, think he mentioned a future plan that included starting his own business, so would make sense to stick to a "hands on" role without investing too much time and money into qualifying.

Would that not be off putting to potential employers though? Unless it's a service where psych is really not valued, I'd have thought lots of expertise etc at AP level is off put by the fact they don't actually want to develop further/qualify... never been in the position to choose but would part of the selection process for an AP not involve their future development and "what you've got to work with", so to speak?

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Tue May 15, 2018 7:23 am

NotReally wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 am
Would that not be off putting to potential employers though? Unless it's a service where psych is really not valued, I'd have thought lots of expertise etc at AP level is off put by the fact they don't actually want to develop further/qualify... never been in the position to choose but would part of the selection process for an AP not involve their future development and "what you've got to work with", so to speak?
I'm not entirely clear what you mean by this - in your example you're talking about people not wanting to get onto training, so who would it be off-putting to?

I think given a lot of our healthcare colleagues are Band 5 or below for most of their career, a permanent Band 5 assistant post in a team where you are valued would be quite appealing for many, as well as manageable financially.

NotReally

Post by NotReally » Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 am

lakeland wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:23 am
NotReally wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 am
I'm not entirely clear what you mean by this - in your example you're talking about people not wanting to get onto training, so who would it be off-putting to?

I think given a lot of our healthcare colleagues are Band 5 or below for most of their career, a permanent Band 5 assistant post in a team where you are valued would be quite appealing for many, as well as manageable financially.
Sorry, I'm talking about for potential employers. As an example:

Candidate 1: 3 years of AP experience, but no aspirations to take it further.

Candidate 2: 6 months of AP experience, but once they gain the necessary skills/experience, would like to go further with it.

If the selectors only had the above information available to them, would candidate 2 not be more appealing to work with?

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Tue May 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Nope, quite the opposite. To do that particular job, the more experience and commitment to staying the better! For the profession as a whole maybe seeking out aspirational people is better, but there is no evidence I am aware of that intelligence or people skills or any other factor that would impact upon AP job performance are correlated with ambitions for rapid job progression.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

NotReally

Post by NotReally » Tue May 15, 2018 4:13 pm

Ah, thanks. Perhaps I naively thought others would be interested in helping nudge along my development :roll: (don't reply to that, it was tongue in cheek i swear!)

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue May 15, 2018 4:17 pm

That's a different thing. I think most qualified CPs identify with the challenge of the early career stages and try to be helpful supportive about creating the steps into the profession for promising candidates. And it is typical to have aspirations to train in CP as a job requirement for an AP post, and to define it as a temporary position to gain experiences, rather than a long-term role that could be a career in itself. But in terms of who can best do the job, the sticker is often better. I often hear it said that an AP requires a lot of input in the first six months and repays this in the second six months, so with that rationale it would be the APs that stay longer than a year who often provide the best return on investment.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com