NHS application - What am I doing wrong

Discuss any aspect of applying for posts or courses (apart from the clinical psychology doctorate which has its own forum section), CVs, application forms, etc
kezkel

NHS application - What am I doing wrong

Post by kezkel » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi,
Im a 2nd going into 3rd year Psychology student at the university of Kent with an eventual aim of becoming a clinical psychologist. In addition to this I have about 3 years support work experience in various charity's. I am currently trying to get a support worker job within the NHS as I know this will strengthen my chances when I start applying for assistant psychologist positions. Despite applying for lots of jobs Im just not getting any interviews. I was wondering if any one has any advice?
Ive proof read the personal statement so dont think the spelling or grammar is a problem. I always re write it to tailor it for each personal specification and its about 1300 words which i read somewhere was about right.
The job I am in the process of is a Band 3 support worker role within the local CAMHS crisis team which is literally the ideal job for me as I want to work in CAMHS when I qualify so any specific CAMHS tips or just advice in general would be great.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Kerry

ell

Re: NHS application - What am I doing wrong

Post by ell » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:25 am

Good to hear you've been proofreading and tailoring it to the specific job (you'd be surprised how many people don't think of that).

Do you mention in your applications that you're hoping to go into CP? That may potentially put people off considering you, as it can look like you'll just leave after a year (which to be fair, you probably will do).

Maybe get someone to read through your application, just to sense check it?

Haven't got any other suggestions I'm afraid. Good luck with it all!

kezkel

Post by kezkel » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:42 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
ell wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:25 am

Do you mention in your applications that you're hoping to go into CP? That may potentially put people off considering you, as it can look like you'll just leave after a year (which to be fair, you probably will do).
That is a really good point and something I hadn't thought of. I do say in my statement that I want to go on to CP I will try taking it out and see if that helps.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:51 pm

The best general advice I can think of is to make sure you emphasise a.) an understanding of the service and the particular needs and challenges its clients might face and b.) what you can bring to the service, based on your existing skills and knowledge. Don't talk much about what you want to gain from the job, as that can come across as quite self-serving. Some of your other posts on this forum have made it sound as if you are trying to cram in as many things that could be useful to you as possible. I'm not saying that this is what you are doing, just that this is how it comes across sometimes, and there is a chance that shortlisters might be getting this impression from your style of writing and how you frame your previous experience - that being a support worker with them is just the next thing on a long to-do list. Be careful to avoid this.

Some more specific advice for your current application: I was a support worker in a CAMHS intensive care unit, and the main reason why applicants got turned down (or left after a few days, or in one case even a few hours!) was due to a very naïve and romanticised idea of what working with children with mental health problems is like. They didn't realise how challenging they might find the young people's behaviour, and they were unprepared. I was told that CAMHS support work vacancies were getting more applications than adult posts (although I don't know if this is true in general or if it was just our hospital), and unrealistic attitudes about what was involved seemed to form part of that. So really make sure you display a good understanding of the service and what's involved.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.