Service evaluation/independent audit

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
huwtube

Service evaluation/independent audit

Post by huwtube » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:13 am

Hello,

For those keeping score at home, I am in the process of applying to the HCPC for registration as a clinical psych in the UK. I recently heard back with a request for more information. One issue raised was the lack of evidence of my having conducted an independent audit or service evaluation during my training here.

My bosses at work (I am currently a postdoc clinician in a psychotherapy clinic for first responders to 9-11) are supportive of my potentially conducting an audit at work, but I only have two months left before we leave the US, so I want to strike the right balance between something manageable and something that will be up to par for the HCPC assessors (i.e. equivalent to the sorts of audit/eval that might get conducted in a UK setting).

One idea I have at the moment is to examine the referral process from our broader mental health monitoring service to the therapy side of things. When someone appears to be struggling with their mental health, they are offered a referral for an intake assessement with the therapists. The social workers who make that referral have, for the last two years or so, been asked to answer the question "how likely do you think it is that this person will attend an intake?" My thought is that it would be interesting to conduct a retrospective chart review of the couple of hundred or so individuals who have been referred since this question has been getting asked. I could see how accurate the social worker judgements are (and thus whether it is worth continuing to have them ask the question).

So my question is ... does this sound like a sufficiently interesting piece of work to likely satisfy the requirement, or should I be gunning for something a little more in depth?

Thanks in advance :D
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
maven
Site Admin

Re: Service evaluation/independent audit

Post by maven » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:32 am

It sounds like an interesting question with findings that would be applicable in UK services to me. Seeing whether the referrer can judge the likelihood of attendance/engagement is a good question. If you wanted it to be broader, I might be tempted to also pick up some other information from the same form on the way along, such as whether the primary reason for referral turned out to be the primary thing worked on by the service, for example.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

huwtube

Re: Service evaluation/independent audit

Post by huwtube » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks Maven - there are other items on the form so I will have to see what else I can find out.
Some people are different from the rest of us, and so are the rest of us.