Anyone ever 'transferred' from a DClin?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
ManonFire

Anyone ever 'transferred' from a DClin?

Post by ManonFire » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had cause to leave the dclin and start it somewhere else? I dont think transferring is possible, even to another course like counselling or a PhD, but re-entering the clin psy application process must have occurred somewhere for whatever reason like illness or relationships etc.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Anyone ever 'transferred' from a DClin?

Post by miriam » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:33 am

I suspect you'd be able to pause and resume it if you had a really good reason to do so (maternity, serious illness, or something critical with a dependent), perhaps negotiating an NHS career break but within the deadlines (7 years?) for completing a doctoral qualification at the university side, but I can't think of anyone who has had more than a year out, and I've never heard of anyone who has changed university.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

ManonFire

Post by ManonFire » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:50 pm

Thanks Miriam for your reply. It's difficult to figure out. I presume if you had to take the time out you would then be out of sync with your cohort and would need to join a different one coming through. But in this case it's more the need to relocate permanently.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:15 am

Yeah, you drop back a cohort if you take a year out. But I've never heard of anyone moving from one course to another - they are funded with regional money and each course sequences the teaching differently, and is equipped to meet the needs of a particular size of cohort, so there are lots of pragmatic reasons a training place can't transfer to another location.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:39 pm

It’s helpful to think of a trainee post as a job with a particular company (nhs trust) rather than a course of study.

Much in the same way you wouldn’t expect to transfer to a similar job with Virgin Atlantic in another location if you worked for British airways, a course with an individual ethos and selection criteria and funding wouldn’t be in a position to take on a trainee from a different course even if it wanted to.

You could drop out and start again from scratch with the application cycle, but I can’t imagine questions not being asked about your prior trainee status.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

do4k

Post by do4k » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:52 pm

Hi Manon

A trainee on my course was in talks to transfer onto another training programme. I am not privy to the reasons why so there may be something specific within that that allowed them to do so. Apparently both programmes were able to facilitate this in principle but unfortunately when it came to it trainee was unable to transfer as both courses were in different national funding regions (ie NHS England/Scotland/Wales/HSC NI).

So it may be possible in certain circumstances as long as you are staying within your courses nation?

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:09 pm

I've known people who stayed at their university for teaching, but who transferred their placement and research to another university 'patch' and were supervised on their thesis in that 'new' geographical area. HTH.
Fail, fail again, fail better.