Maternity pay

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
hawke

Maternity pay

Post by hawke »

I am a 3rd year trainee, due to qualify later this year and looking for NHS jobs outside of my current employing trust. Can anyone explain to me how maternity leave/pay would work if I were to get pregnant this year? I have tried looking it up, but am not finding any easy answers. I think I am already past the point where my fixed-term training contract would be extended, so this would be based on me hypothetically having an NHS job offer for later on in the year.

What would happen if I got a job offer knowing I was pregnant? What would happen if I accepted a job offer, and then later found out I was pregnant?

Would I be entitled to NHS maternity pay? I am confused about whether the NHS is considered one national employer, or whether changing trusts would mean I am not eligible.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: Maternity pay

Post by Randomswirls »

So I don’t know the specific answer but there were trainees on my course who started the course heavily pregnant (having interviewed whilst pregnant) so did the 1St teaching block and then went off on (paid) mat leave rejoining the year below. I know that continuous service applies within the nhs and the amount of time between jobs impacts different aspects of it eg redundancy (no gaps) vs annual leave (quite a long gap).
lakeland

Post by lakeland »

I had this when I changed Trusts during a pregnancy. There was a bit of a hiccup when I moved to the new Trust as they said that I wasn't eligible for SMP (statutory pay) as I wasn't employed for the amount of time I needed to be. But I was! Somehow, my old Trust was supposed to pay me SMP, but they worked it out between them that my current Trust would pay both SMP and OMP (occupational maternity pay). So I got the full amount. I was 6 months pregnant when I started the new job, I think I was about 14 weeks when I was offered the job.

The only downside for me was that I didn't start my higher paid job until after the week that they calculate the OMP on, so my mat pay was based on 8A rather than 8C.

Short version - you'll be fine.
hawke

Post by hawke »

Thanks for the advice. I think there is a 3 month gap rule for maternity leave, so as long as I start an NHS job within 3 months of my training contract ending, that would be covered as continuous service - whether SMP or MA is up for debate it seems, but the NHS additional pay carries over. And again, it sounds like I am covered once offered a job, whether I were to disclose or not. Even if that meant I didn't actually start the job for very long. But of course all of this is hypothetical as babies themselves can't be so exactly timed!