'second job tax' if two part time posts in same trust?

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
sockmonkey

'second job tax' if two part time posts in same trust?

Post by sockmonkey » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:27 pm

Does anyone know whether I would get taxed at the higher rate if I changed from one full time post to two part time posts in the same trust?

I know that in regular employment laws you get taxed at a higher rate on any additional jobs on top of your original one, but I am not sure how that would apply if both are under the same employer, which i presume would be the case if the Trust is considered the employer, rather than the service?

Loula

Re: 'second job tax' if two part time posts in same trust?

Post by Loula » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:01 am

I would recommend you have a look on the HMRC website to make yourself clear on how tax is calculated. You don't get taxed at a higher rate for having multiple jobs, tax is calculated based on your overall earnings within a tax year regardless of how many jobs you have. However, sometimes your tax is miscalculated by a second job and paid at a higher rate, but at the end of each tax year you can claim back anything you have overpaid. With two jobs with the same employer it is worth asking how they would pay you- if they pay you for both posts on one combined payslip then it is much less likely that an error will be made calculating your tax.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:22 pm

Tax bands are based purely on your income, not how you earn it. If you earn over £40k then you get taxed for that part at the higher rate of tax. If you don't, then you can have 15 jobs and you won't pay higher rate.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

luckyblackcat

Post by luckyblackcat » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:01 am

Would they be handled as two separate jobs on the payroll? As others have said, taxation depends on how much you earn, not how many jobs you have. You will need to choose which of the two jobs you wish to use your personal allowance in, and HMRC will probably need to issue you with tax codes - you can help this along by filling in a P60 form.

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:38 am

To add to the above - I think your employer is 'the NHS', so not sure it would really count as a second income even if you worked for a different trust? This was my understanding when I had two half time posts in different trusts anyway. I may have misunderstood though.
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:25 pm

I'm not sure why people are adding advice to a thread that is 6 months old, presumably the OP has sorted it out by now!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com