Feeling very demoralised in support worker role

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Randomswirls
Team Member

Re: Feeling very demoralised in support worker role

Post by Randomswirls » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:25 pm

I also have mental health issues and a while back I had to go through Occupational Health though I was already working at this point. The Dr I saw was lovely and really understanding and I asked her about this and how it would relate to future employment and she explained that she was only interested in seeing if I could do the job at that moment in time.

Your current job sounds really stressful so I hope that your Occupational Health appointment goes well. If you don't feel it is safe for clients wonder if you could take it above management if they don't seem to be addressing your concerns etc?

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks, Esuma and Randomswirls. I truly appreciate the support. And yes, I think I will be taking my concerns further.

So... today is shaping up to be a good day! In the last hour I have received an email from the potential employer to say I have clearance from Occupational Health. The recruiting officer is just waiting to hear whether the adjustments the OH doctor has recommended can be implemented, but he has asked me when I will be available to start, so things are looking very promising on that front.

But also this morning I have received invitations to not one but TWO interviews! :D This has left me feeling very happy, but also a bit confused. I will be attending both interviews because I might as well keep my options open and see what happens. And I need all the interview practise I can get! If by some miracle I was offered them then I think I am likely to turn down one because it doesn't seem as good as the one I have just received clearance for. But I'm not so sure about the other job because I think it sounds even better than the one I have been offered. Also, it would involve less of a commute and is the next pay band up. I must admit I really, really want it but would have no idea how to handle things if I do get offered it. Still, there is no point worrying about something that might not even happen!

Oh well, what will be will be and it's nice to find myself in the position of having one job offer and two interview invitations. This is confirmation to me that I am doing the right thing in switching from pursuing a career in environmental conservation (which I have a degree in but not much passion for anymore) to pursuing a career in mental health. Now I just have to decide which path I want to go down (psychology, occupational therapy, mental health nursing, social work). But I've given myself until next year to decide that and for the first time in a long time I feel excited about what the future holds. :D
"Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

~From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:29 pm

I've been watching this thread with interest but have not commented so far as I've had nothing extra to add! But I now feel compelled to post and say just how inspirational your journey so far has been! You really are to be held up as an example of what can be achieved in spite of the barriers you've outlined. I wish you all the luck possible for your other two interviews and, if I were to offer any advice at this point, it would be to take your own advice and just go along and try not to worry about making a decision until you've got something to decide about!

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Geishawife wrote:I've been watching this thread with interest but have not commented so far as I've had nothing extra to add! But I now feel compelled to post and say just how inspirational your journey so far has been! You really are to be held up as an example of what can be achieved in spite of the barriers you've outlined. I wish you all the luck possible for your other two interviews and, if I were to offer any advice at this point, it would be to take your own advice and just go along and try not to worry about making a decision until you've got something to decide about!
Thank you so much, Geishawife, what a lovely comment. You have given me such a boost!

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

sparklepants

Post by sparklepants » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:11 pm

I'm thrilled for your proposon! Like geisha, I've followed your story. Best of luck with the next steps :)

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:28 pm

sparklepants wrote:I'm thrilled for your proposon! Like geisha, I've followed your story. Best of luck with the next steps :)
Thanks, sparklepants (love your username, by the way!)

Mush

Post by Mush » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:32 pm

hah, people are trying to snap you up! Glad it's all working out :lol:

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:22 pm

Mush wrote:hah, people are trying to snap you up! Glad it's all working out :lol:
Thanks, Mush. :D

I must admit, my anxiety is starting to go back up as I have not heard yet whether they can make the adjustments recommended by the doctor. The recruiting officer seemed to think he would be able to let me know early in the week but that didn't happen. I realise the manager is extremely busy and I'm hoping that's the reason this hasn't been sorted out yet, but of course a part of me is thinking they won't be able to make the adjustments and will therefore have to withdraw the offer. It has been quite a stressful week and I have been checking my emails obsessively! But hopefully it all works out and I hear early next week. Fingers crossed!

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:54 pm

I'm in such a difficult situation right now. Bizarrely I STILL haven't heard if my potential employer can make adjustments for me and am therefore in a kind of limbo. However, things in my current job have reached crisis point and the working environment has become unbearable. I'd go as far as saying it has become toxic.

I cannot stay in that role due to the impact it is having on my health and also for ethical reasons. My plan is to blow the whistle and then get the hell out of there. Right now I am 75% certain I'm handing in my notice tomorrow.

However, it feels rather terrifying to do that when I do not have a firm job offer in place and the thought of being unemployed is holding me back on doing what I know I need to do. Obviously I have my fingers crossed that the other job goes ahead but it may not. I am also waiting to hear about a job I interviewed for last week, and I have another interview this week. I've also seen a couple of other jobs that I'd like to apply for. So things are not completely bleak but I am not dealing well with the uncertainty!

Has anyone ever left a job without having another one definitely lined up? Did things work out okay in the end? Financially I would be fine for a while if I were unemployed (though my savings are for if I do a conversion course next year and I really do not want to use them :() but mentally I do not cope well with unemployment. I suppose if none of the things in the pipeline work out I can just apply to every local care home as I know they are often desperate and I would be likely to get another job like that. I seriously do not want to work in care anymore but guess I will if I can't get anything else.

I'm so stressed out with all of this right now!

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:11 am

Although my circumstances were very different to yours, I have left a job without having another to go to and, yes, it all worked out fine. Obviously the final decision must be yours, but I do think in your situation I would leave your current employment and look elsewhere, It sounds as if the current situation really is untenable and the last thing you need is to have this impact on your wellbeing when things are looking pretty bright in other areas. Looking at what you've written here in the past, you have worked really hard to try to make this work and have done so well in holding it together so far. It would be a shame if all that hard work went to waste now because of the toxic atmosphere. One more thought, walking away from a job after trying so hard to make it work (as opposed to being there a couple of weeks, thinking "I'm bored now" and walking away, as I've seen happen!) takes guts and strength (and would be excellent reflective fodder for future applications!) so please don't see it as any kind of failure - it's anything but!

GOOD LUCK!!

Dice

Post by Dice » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Prosopon,

Sounds like you are in such a difficult situation, I'm really sorry to hear about it. I don't know if it will be useful for you but I can tell you a bit about my experience in somewhat similar situations. I've left a job with nothing yet lined up due to the impact the job was having on my mental health, and for me this has been the right decision. Previous to this I had a job that was really detrimental to my mental health and it was my first ever paid job in mental health and I felt unable to leave, consequently things carried on getting worse and in the end I had a hospital admission and months off work, which really set me back. It's been an important part of my 'recovery' process to learn to put my mental wellbeing first, because without that everything else eventually falls apart. I think it is a mature and 'insightful' thing to do personally.

It sounds so frustrating that you still haven't heard back about the reasonable adjustments. I find those type of situations so difficult because I can feel really powerless, that decisions are being made about me without me, which I don't like! And they often move so slowly! I don't know what adjustments are being suggested obviously, but I know that I've had quite positive experiences with adjustments being made- such as reducing my working hours, starting later, more frequent supervision, and giving me time off for therapy/ psychiatric appointments. I imagine you have already tried following it up with them and asking for any update?

It sounds like you have lots of options available to you and even though none of them are yet 100% secure that makes me feel really hopeful that something good will come out of this situation.

Dice

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:12 pm

Thank you so much for the responses Geishawife and Dice, and I truly appreciate you sharing such a personal experience, Dice -- what you said was definitely extremely helpful. I did end up handing my notice in last week and my last day will be at the beginning of next month, thank goodness, as my manager is now making things so difficult for me. I was pretty anxious about the whole situation of not having a firm offer from the other place and started obsessively job-searching. Then yesterday I had an email from the recruiting officer to ask when I can start and I now have a provisional start date! I don't think I will be able to fully relax until I get an email saying something along the lines of, "be here, on this date, at this time" but I think I can be happy!

As for the other jobs I interviewed for... I haven't heard back from one. The other was for an STR worker position and I didn't get it, mostly due to lack of experience, but they said I did really well and I got some amazing feedback that I will definitely be taking on board. I am happy just to have gotten to the interview stage considering I don't have any experience in the mental health field! But that will change soon when I start the new job, and maybe in six months or so I can start looking around for STR positions again (or similar). It's exciting!

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:14 am

Well done for making such a bold move and good luck in the new job. Hope this is the start of a good run for you,

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 am

Congratulations! So glad to hear things are working out, let us know when you start your new job :) It sounds like our new jobs are very similar, I'm now in the boat of waiting for occupational health too!

Mush

Post by Mush » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:18 am

I think it is extremely unlikely with a provisional start date that the rug is going to be pulled out from under you. Think about it from nhs point of view, they've spent money on you already and for the sake of reasonable adjustments they won't risk a potential law suit for denying a job which they won't really have soild grounds to do, seeing as the OH have said you are able if adjustments are made.

Keep trucking, really hope things work out. Also weldone leaving a security net of a job even though it is being detrimental to you is a very brave step in looking after yourself.