Feeling very demoralised in support worker role

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Prosopon

Re: Feeling very demoralised in support worker role

Post by Prosopon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Thank you for the supportive comments! I feel proud of myself for sticking by my morals, even though I was facing one of my biggest fears.

What's your new job, Esuma? I hope you get through occupational health quicker than I did!

Thanks, Mush. I knew that really but was so stressed by the situation I just needed solid confirmation to be able to believe it!

My conditional job offer has now become a firm offer. I'm so scared! I hope I will start to feel excited too, but for now I'm just scared!
"Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

~From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Esuma

Post by Esuma » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:16 pm

Congratulations that's great news it's all proper and confirmed now! :)

I'll (hopefully!) be a healthcare assistant in a private mental health hospital - even though I've been doing support work for three years I still haven't got much experience within mental health as I worked with people with ABI and then LD / ASD so I'm looking forward to getting some experience in an inpatient setting! I really hope so I'm quite worried about it but hopefully it'll be fine and go through ASAP!

Prosopon

Post by Prosopon » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Esuma wrote:Congratulations that's great news it's all proper and confirmed now! :)

I'll (hopefully!) be a healthcare assistant in a private mental health hospital - even though I've been doing support work for three years I still haven't got much experience within mental health as I worked with people with ABI and then LD / ASD so I'm looking forward to getting some experience in an inpatient setting! I really hope so I'm quite worried about it but hopefully it'll be fine and go through ASAP!
Thank you!

My job title will be clinical support worker, but it is also in an inpatient setting working with people experiencing mental health problems. I wonder if this is the same kind of role really, just with different names? I'm not sure! This will be my first job in the mental health field. My only other experience with mental health services comes from being a patient. So I think the job is going to be an interesting but strange experience. I think it will feel weird to be a staff member rather than a patient.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Best of luck.
"Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

~From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:55 pm

I think there's not a massive amount of difference between HCA / SW I guess it just depends on the company! I think generally HCA can be more medically based but I don't think it's the case with this job!

I can imagine that will be a strange experience but I'm sure your patients will benefit from your insight of being a service user :)

Thank you! Let us know when you get your start date and how it all goes!

Mush

Post by Mush » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:17 pm

Good luck both of you! Nice to see some positive out comes :)