teaching experience

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
carmelo

teaching experience

Post by carmelo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi all,
I am in my last year PhD and looking at the job offers for teaching assistant/lecturer they all require you to have previous teaching experience ''at undergarduate level''. So how exactly to escape this catch 22 ? I am planing to do some PostDoc research after my PhD, but eventually I would like to be able to teach as well.
So can someone please share some own/first hand experience how he/she got their first ''teaching experience"? :)

thanks so much !

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Charlie

Re: teaching experience

Post by Charlie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Can you get some teaching assistant / demonstrator experience in your university as a PhD student? My department had a lot of opportunities for PhD students to get involved in which I think is fairly standard, as departments are often quite dependent on PhD students to support their teaching, marking etc.

carmelo

Post by carmelo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi Charlie,
thanks for your answer !

It is a bit more complicated for me, I should have explained better - I am doing my PhD at a Research Institute based in a hospital, where we don't have any undergrad students. We have master students, but senior (clinical) staff are doing the teaching....

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:11 pm

Offer to do some presentations or teaching sessions, to medical students, undergrads at a local university, or to talk about career options at sixth forms?
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Definitely worth offering to help the clinical staff if you could help or get involved in teaching masters students. Also worth having a chat with your supervisor about it who may be aware of opportunities.

mungle

Post by mungle » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:33 pm

As Maven says. Also, talk to local University psychology departments who might have some ad hoc VL work/seminar leading etc. These often aren't advertised but might be enough. See if you can offer a guest lecture to them on your area of expertise.