AP Redeployment

Issues related to pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS, unions, etc.
Orenishii

AP Redeployment

Post by Orenishii » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Hi all,

I know we are currently living in strange times with the current COVID-19 pandemic and I am sure we are all being impacted by this in some way. I'm curious about how this might be impacting your roles and what adjustments either you or your service have put into place?

I am a band 4 Assistant Psychologist - the only AP in the medical NHS trust I work in. Understandably, all my face-to-face appointments have been cancelled. At this time, we are being told by the government to only go to work if 'essential' so I have suggested to my employer for me to work from home (laptop and phone both of which are available) however this request has been denied.

I have been told that I 'may' be redeployed to cover for admin somewhere else. I'm feeling conflicted by this as I commute a long distance to work (which is potentially putting myself and others at risk) at a time when we should be limiting non-essential travelling to be asked to sit around in a department on the off chance of covering admin.

I know this is going to be a hard time for us all but I just can't help but feel I could be working from home as the equipment is there and I would still be able to check in on the wellbeing of the clients on my caseload. And if the admin cover really is needed surely they could call me in when required?

It would be great to hear your stories on how your roles have been impacted and also any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Android18

Re: AP Redeployment

Post by Android18 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:58 pm

I am also an AP working in a medical NHS trust. I have been working from home but I have been told that I will be redeployed, but it's uncertain exactly where or how. I was orginally told I would be helping out with complex discharge, but it turns out it may be more along the lines of supporting bereaved family members and helping with staff wellbeing. There may also be some need to support patients we would normally see regularly, but this will be telephone contact only.

In a way, I feel like this will actually offer some useful experience to reflect on, in terms of dealing with changing circumstances and service demands. I do still hope this pandemic ends as quickly as possible though.

"I have been told that I 'may' be redeployed to cover for admin somewhere else. I'm feeling conflicted by this as I commute a long distance to work (which is potentially putting myself and others at risk) at a time when we should be limiting non-essential travelling to be asked to sit around in a department on the off chance of covering admin. "

This doesn't sound very well thought out. The trust I work at did say that redeployment is voluntary. So I would seek further clarity on that and also what exactly you would be expected to do and if this admin work could be completed at home.

ManonFire

Post by ManonFire » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:33 pm

More or less everyone in psychology is in a redeployed position or about to be. Stories I'm hearing are that management have been pretty unsympathetic to fears of infecting loved ones or those with underlying conditions and potential increased risk. Have either of you considered what might happen if you were to say no to the 'voluntary' redeployment? For me, it has brought up questions such as 'Should I put my own health before my wage packet, and possibly my career?' or 'Should I work against an invisible enemy that may kill me, with limited protection from management (e.g. inadequate PPE) to try to protect a nation of people who mightn't do the same were the roles reversed?' Sad realities maybe... Or do i rush off into the mire full of bravery and give it all I've got...! Isn't that what naturally care-giving people are inclined to do?!

Orenishii

Post by Orenishii » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:38 am

UPDATE
I have now been redeployed to the trust's wellbeing service to provide advice and support to staff at the hospital. I'm definitely happier with this outcome (compared to what I was initially told) as it means I can put my skills to use and hopefully be of some help.

I agree Android18 I think it is definitely a useful learning experience to reflect on however I would echo ManonFire's sentiment regarding the potential increased risk we are being put in. It was suggested to me that I could visit staff on the wards to provide support however I outright declined this with a clear rationale as to why I wouldn't be doing that i.e. putting myself and others at risk by potentially spreading the virus. I am trying to mainly provide support via telephone however I do have a room with chairs that have been distanced appropriately for drop-in sessions on an ad-hoc basis.

Android18 it is interesting that you were informed by your trust that redeployment is 'voluntary'. At no point have I been told it was voluntary. The service I usually work for has officially closed and so redeployment was the only option that I was given.

ManonFire I have definitely thought about the impact this could have on me and the people in my household. My partner is a Social Worker so we are both on the front-line. We are fortunate enough to be young and able-bodied with no known underlying health conditions. Of course there is still risk but at the end of the day someone has to do it. I don't know how helpful the 'tit for tat' way of thinking is in this situation as I am sure there are many things that people wouldn't do in reverse but that is not to say we shouldn't do it. But I guess that is a personal decision and everyone who works in our roles or other HCP roles needs to weigh up the risk for themselves and the people in their households.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:32 pm

And let's not forget that millions of people are stepping up to volunteer in various ways - delivering parcels to the more vulnerable, phoning people who might be lonely, donating to charities, coming back to work after retirement, stepping into frontline roles when they have previously been in management.

Someone said to me that a crisis shows people's true character, and I think that is so true. Many bad bosses in the private sector have shown theirs, but so have millions of good people. I hope it has shown my willingness to try to be helpful (within the constraints of my anxiety about the personal risk).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com