Employment without Doctorate Cert?

Issues related to professional titles, organisations, job roles, pay, contracts, Agenda for Change, the NHS, the BPS/ACP-UK, unions, etc.
Tippex

Employment without Doctorate Cert?

Post by Tippex »

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately my doctoral cert is not in my possession as there is a fees problem in the uni I trained with. I am hoping to begin interviewing for my first post-doc job.

Just wondering about applying for CP jobs, I am going to ask two supervisors from placements that I got on well with to go as referees, and a letter of completion from the admin office, as well as copy of results.

Would it be a problem if it takes time, possibly a year! to provide my actual certificate?

Thanks All.
ell

Re: Employment without Doctorate Cert?

Post by ell »

People apply for qualified CP jobs before they have even qualified, so I can't see that the lack of the piece of paper should make a difference? The important thing is that you get HCPC registered once you have completed training and passed everything!
Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife »

Because of the way the academic year fell in relation to our contracts of employment, myself and my cohort had to wait 11 months before we received our actual degree certifictaes. We all worked in that time! What matters is that you've passed and are qualified. You'll have the relevant paperwork to show that, so that's all you need.
Tippex

Post by Tippex »

Thank you very much for your answers Ell and Geishawife. How did I not think of that.

Do you think my placement supervisor referees will be enough or should I also specify academic supervisors at the university?
ell

Post by ell »

Just see what the application form requires (if you're applying to an NHS post). Also, bear in mind that many trusts have a policy of references being provided by the HR department rather than the person named as reference. I was asked for a reference recently and I had to forward it to HR to deal with.
alexh

Post by alexh »

As ell said in her first reply, HCPC registration is more important. It's likely to affect you holding full clinical responsibility and therefore possibly impact your pay than the degree certificate. If you are not yet on the register you might be employed at band 6 rather than 7 until you are. You could ask to be paid at top of band 6 if this is likely to be the case for a significant period of time.

I'm not sure I've ever provided my degree certificate for a qualified job.