Stats book recommendations

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Bad Kitty

Stats book recommendations

Post by Bad Kitty » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:59 am

Hi all,

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything directly relevant...

Can anyone recommend a statistics book which would bring me up to roughly the standard expected for entry to the clinical course? I haven't had to do any stats for a couple of years and am very rusty.

Thanx in advance

BK

Elsie

Post by Elsie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi Bad Kitty

My two stats bibles are:

Discovering Statistics Using SPSS, by Andy Field

and

the SPSS Survival Manual, by Julie Pallant

They're both very useful in giving good easy-to-understand descriptions of various concepts and how to run tests in SPSS - I couldn't live without them! :)
People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
-~-Maya Angelou-~-

bisty

HI!

Post by bisty » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Hiya,

Yeah id agree with Elsie, both of those books are really handy and explain things so clearly.

Another good one though, for when thing start getting complicated is called Using multivariate statistics' by Tabachnick and Fidell (2007). Its not as clear as the other two, but it covers nearly everything. In fact i think the Pallant books makes a lot of references to it for follow-up issues.

Hope thats a help....

Dr.Dot

Post by Dr.Dot » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:09 pm

Dorothy: Now which way do we go?

bisty

Thanks

Post by bisty » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:16 pm

I just checked that out Dorothy, thats a good list. Im gonna check out the quali books as i havent come across them yet!

Thats really useful!