Undergraduate Dissertation - Advice

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Hazjr

Undergraduate Dissertation - Advice

Post by Hazjr » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently found a journal which is related to my chosen topic that was conducted in Malaysia last year. In respect to the author and his journal, I believe that the research studies findings are somewhat questionable and hence, I would like to replicate his study in the UK. This findings could be of many reasons which I intend to find out in the future.

Basically, my question is: Am I allowed to replicate a study that was conducted in another country and apply it to the UK? I intend to make modifications to the study (those that are my own and the suggestions made in the research).

It just seems like I'm taking an easy route as opposed to others who may be researching something a bit more 'unique'... Has anyone else done this during their undergrad? Or has anyone got any advice that they could pass on?

I understand that in the real world, these sort of studies are conducted but I was wondering whether it would be wise to do it for my dissertation.

Any assistance would be appreciated and thanks for reading.

Hazjr :)

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: Undergraduate Dissertation - Advice

Post by Geishawife » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 pm

I would suggest you discuss this with your tutors at university. Every institution will have a slightly different take on what is appropriate research for students to undertake. Do you have a personal tutor you could talk to, or a research director? As far as I know, there's nothing to stop you replicating previous research (it is often done), but you have to make sure the research is appropriate to your level of experience and expertise, has appropriate ethical approval, is do-able within the time frame you have, is carefully supervised etc, etc, etc. With so many potential obstacles you need to find out from the people who will be supervising you and overseeing your work whether or not it is feasible. You need to hear it from the horses mouth, as it were, and I imagine the university would be best placed to give you an answer. Good luck with your project, whatever you end up researching!

sarahg

Post by sarahg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:44 pm

I agree with what Geishawife said, it's best to talk to your university/potential supervisor especially as they will be the ones marking it! Research is often replicated, but you will have to come up with a good justification for replication.

Loula

Post by Loula » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 pm

sarahg wrote: Research is often replicated, but you will have to come up with a good justification for replication.
I agree with this. I think it's also worth highlighting to your tutors that you are not wanting to precisely replicate it, but want to use a similar methodology with some modifications in a different environment. I would have a think about why it is you're interested in this research, why you think you will have the same/ different result in a UK sample and why you think the method should be modified/ what difference that will make plus read around the literature and consider whether other methods might be more appropriate in answering your research questions.

Hazjr

Post by Hazjr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:01 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to offer my gratitude to those who replied yesterday. They were encouraging responses and definitely assisted with how I portrayed my plan to my potential supervisor today. It seems like it is okay to do a replication of a recent study but like the guys said, it is important to offer a justification and any possible modifications that I will entail into my dissertation.

Overall, it seems like I have a decent idea which I can get on with in the near future. Just wanted to say thanks to those who replied.

Regards
Haz 8)