Downs & Black quality assessment tool - query

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
noodle

Downs & Black quality assessment tool - query

Post by noodle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:55 am

Hi All,

Has anyone used the Downs and Black (1998) quality assessment tool as part of a systematic review? I'd like to use it, but I'm really struggling to interpret one of the items and am no further after asking around and endless googling, despite it being widely used. It's the final item (27) which asks about power:

27. Did the study have sufficient power to detect a clinically important effect where the probability value for a difference being due to chance is less than 5%? Sample sizes have been calculated to detect a difference of x% and y%.
Size of smallest intervention group
1. A 1<n1 0
2. B n1-n2 1
3. C n3-n4 2
4. D n5-n6 3
5. E n7-n8 4
6. F n8+ 5

Can anyone help? I'm not sure if you simply score each paper based on the size of the smallest intervention group, or whether the scoring is related to the power calculation.

Many Thanks,

Noodle

HayleyT

Re: Downs & Black quality assessment tool - query

Post by HayleyT » Tue May 12, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi,

I had the same trouble with this item when I used it for my thesis lit review, and no-one seemed to know what to do! However in the end I scored each paper based on the smallest intervention group. This seems to be how others interpret it and I managed to pass thesis doing it this way!

Hayley

noodle

Re: Downs & Black quality assessment tool - query

Post by noodle » Tue May 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Thanks Hayley. I'm glad it was not just me! Luckily I managed to find a good rationale for omitting this question, but it sounds like your way was probably the correct way to do it.