Control Group Needed for DClin Study

Ask here about academic and research issues, like designing studies, recruiting participants, choosing statistics, submitting for publication, etc.
Clarebellle

Control Group Needed for DClin Study

Post by Clarebellle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi Everyone,

As part of my back up plan for my DClin study 'The effect of having a sibling with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD): predictors of sibling relationship quality' I am recruiting a control group of siblings who grew up with a sibling without any mental health disorders. The control group inclusion/exclusion criteria and study advert are below and I would be hugely grateful for anyone who is able to take part!

Control Group Link: http://nclpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/fo ... 3r51ygnuTj

Many thanks,
Claire

What are the aims of this study?
This study aims to investigate the impact growing up with a sibling who suffers from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) has on sibling relationships both in the past and at the present time. Through this study we hope to gain a better understanding of the possible effects there might be on a child who lives with a sibling with OCD. By understanding any potential impacts better, we would hope eventually that better and more targeted support could be offered to families and siblings.

This research is part of my Doctorate in Clinical Psychology being undertaken at Newcastle University and is supervised by Dr. Claire Lomax (Clinical Psychologist, Newcastle University Doctorate of Clinical Psychology Programme Director) and Dr David O’Sullivan (Clinical Psychologist, Newcastle University Doctorate of Clinical Psychology Clinical Tutor).

Can I take part in the study?
We are looking two groups to part in this study.
For the first group we are looking for adults aged between 18 and 50 who had a sibling who experienced OCD during their childhood.
http://nclpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/fo ... ogK6VRo95X

For the second (control) group we are looking for adults aged between 18-50 who grew up with a sibling who did not suffer from OCD or any other mental health disorder during childhood or the last 6 months.
http://nclpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/fo ... 3r51ygnuTj

Control group inclusion/exclusion criteria:
In order to take part in this study you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be aged between 18 and 50.
- You must have lived in the same household as your sibling for the majority (a minimum of three years) of your childhood (aged between 6 and 16).
- You must be able to recall the impact that living with a sibling has/had on you.
- Your sibling must have not have experienced a mental health disorder during childhood or within the last 6 months.

Unfortunately, you will be unable to take part in this study if the following apply:
- You and your sibling differ in age by more than 10 years.

What does taking part involve?
The study involves completing some questionnaires online. The study takes approximately 35 minutes to complete for the OCD sibling group and 20 minutes for the control group. Data provided is anonymous. All data collected will be used solely for research purposes and will be stored in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the policies of Newcastle University and Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Trust. Only the research team will have access to the data.

If you have any additional questions or require further information, please contact us at c.mason3@newcastle.ac.uk.

This study was approved by the Faculty of Medical Sciences Research Ethics Committee, part of Newcastle University's Research Ethics Committee. This committee contains members who are internal to the Faculty, as well as one external member. This study was reviewed by members of the committee, who must provide impartial advice and avoid significant conflicts of interests.
Last edited by miriam on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to fix your link

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Gilly

Re: Control Group Needed for DClin Study

Post by Gilly » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 pm

done :)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

ClaireEmma

Re: Control Group Needed for DClin Study

Post by ClaireEmma » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:15 pm

I found this difficult as there was nowhere to indicate not having/ not having had a mother/father in your life on the questions regarding the treatment you and your sibling received from your parents.