The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
lingua_franca

Re: The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:48 am

Last year I collaborated with a creative arts practitioner from an American university on a public engagement project based on my PhD research with conflict-affected youth. Today I found out that she has published a detailed piece online (immediately available to search engines, no paywall) that describes how I broke the law in a particular conflict zone and frequently mentions my real name. She has redacted the name of my manager in that country - but retained the name of the organisation, so anyone could find out who the manager is within a second of Googling. I'm supposed to be going back there in six weeks and this could actually land me in an interrogation room. It could land my former colleagues in interrogation and they don't have a burgundy passport to protect them from torture. Aghast doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now. I'm also angry at the factual inaccuracies that riddle the piece and again are attributed to me by name: this lecturer has no country-specific knowledge and all my patient explanations and reading recommendations seem to have gone unheard. But this is a minor concern. I'm going to raise an ethics complaint.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Contrarian

Post by Contrarian » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:29 pm

lingua_franca wrote:Last year I collaborated with a creative arts practitioner from an American university on a public engagement project based on my PhD research with conflict-affected youth. Today I found out that she has published a detailed piece online (immediately available to search engines, no paywall) that describes how I broke the law in a particular conflict zone and frequently mentions my real name. She has redacted the name of my manager in that country - but retained the name of the organisation, so anyone could find out who the manager is within a second of Googling. I'm supposed to be going back there in six weeks and this could actually land me in an interrogation room. It could land my former colleagues in interrogation and they don't have a burgundy passport to protect them from torture. Aghast doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now. I'm also angry at the factual inaccuracies that riddle the piece and again are attributed to me by name: this lecturer has no country-specific knowledge and all my patient explanations and reading recommendations seem to have gone unheard. But this is a minor concern. I'm going to raise an ethics complaint.
This sounds horrible! Hope something is done to resolve this. It's awful to be unfairly portrayed and if there is a risk of interrogation and torture for your former colleagues... what on Earth was this person thinking?!

AnnSimone

Post by AnnSimone » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:09 pm

Lecturers who clearly shouldn't be lecturers because of their clear lack of emotional intelligence. How can anyone think it's appropriate to continue verbal bashing of someone who's clearly having a panic attack in tears? Someone really needs to learn to practise what they preach. By that I mean reflect of how you treat others and acknowledge they're in the wrong.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Three incidences of sexual harassment from complete strangers in the space of TWO HOURS. :evil: The first: I was sitting on the bus, lost in thought, when a man stopped in the aisle and gestured for me to move my bag so he could sit down next to me. I did so automatically, and then noticed that there were plenty of vacant seats next to other men and he'd walked past several to get to me. I put my headphones in and turned pointedly to stare out of the window, to show there would be no conversation, and he leaned over and said, "I'm sorry you don't have much space." Dude, if I stab you with this propelling pencil I'll have all the space I need and you'll be sorrier still. Unfortunately I wasn't in the mood for confrontation, so I just got off the bus and walked the rest of the way home. En route I experienced some more delightful attentions: some teenagers wolf-whistled at me, and then a man called after me with the same "tsh-tsh-tsh" noise you use to attract a cat, interspersed with shouted demands to know where I was going. I arrived home in a vile mood. These are the days when political lesbianism looks very appealing.
- A.A. Milne.

AJ555

Post by AJ555 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:52 pm

What has annoyed me recently is the "feedback" I received following an interview.

It consisted of "everyone is in the same boat as you. They've either got their masters, are currently doing it, or going to do it". Well firstly, that's three different boats, and I am more than my masters. No real feedback.

Judging from what I was told, the people appointed to the positions were already working there as he suggested applying for jobs that they're going to be advertising. I guess that would perhaps explain why the CP appeared quite disinterested during the interview.

randomgrapes

Post by randomgrapes » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:09 pm

I think my rant is quite small compared to everyone else's but this is something that really annoyed me yesterday!

Me and my boyfriend work in the same building, so at exactly 4:30pm yesterday he messaged me to say it was time to go (he sometimes has to stay late and I never do, so I wait for him to say he's ready before I pack up and leave). I immediately log off, get my bag, and head downstairs. 5 minutes later he's still not in reception?

Why tell me it's time to go and then not actually be ready to go?! I wouldn't mind so much if it was a one time thing but this is pretty much every time, I end up waiting in reception looking like a lemon!

Ah well, only a few more hours until the end of the day, then I don't have to go to the gym tonight so I can sit in my pjs all evening and watch the Bake Off final!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:20 am

It was the assessment board meeting today at the uni where I am a sessional lecturer. My department head made it clear to me that I needed to attend. I was worried that the external examiner had concerns about my marking. I got up at five a.m. in order to get there on time, as repair works on the railway meant I would need to take the scenic route. On the train I discovered that I'd lost my railcard and would need to buy a full price ticket. Then I lost that ticket, so I ended up paying for two tickets and making a six-hour round trip...in order to spend 45 minutes sitting in a meeting that I didn't actually need to attend at all. My marks had all been validated and there were no questions for me. At the end of it the HoD came over to me and went, "That was a bit of a wasted journey for you." Erm, you don't say!!! Frankly I couldn't afford to spend the best part of my day schlepping over there for nothing. I have a ton of stuff to do. And as the piece de resistance, I'm not getting paid for most of that - only for the 45 minutes I actually sat in the room for. The salary has of course been eaten by train fares. :evil:
- A.A. Milne.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Believe me, I'm all for children having both an opinion and a voice, but I do NOT think allowing both without the slightest bit of guidance or boundary setting is acceptable if it leads to the DISGRACEFUL behaviour I witnessed from your son today. If he does not like dogs, WHY BRING HIM TO OUR HOUSE?? You know we have dogs. And not liking dogs does NOT give him permission to chase them and kick them. Our dogs are rescues and one had a very serious accident last year so they have been through enough and do not need your 10 year old (yes, 10 YEAR OLD!!) doing this to them. Moreover, NOBODY, especially a 10 year old, speaks to my 93 year old father-in-law in such rude and disrespectful terms when he has simply asked your son to desist in his behaviour towards the dogs!! You say this is "progressive parenting" that allows a child "free expression". I call such an example of "free expression" nothing more than complete and utter rudeness. Our child is welcomed in many homes because she is polite, kind, respectful and well - mannered. Your son is nothing more than a brat!! Rant over!!

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:11 am

I am so sick of near-faceless upper-level management making decisions that affect ground floor clinical working practices without actually consulting clinical staff.... not only do their "solutions" not work and cause tons of issues... but we also have no idea of the problem they are trying to fix! Why not come to us with a problem and ask for our opinions? It makes literally no sense...... grrrrrrrr >:(

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:59 am

Ugh, Geishawife, your poor dogs. :( I hope they're OK. Your father-in-law, too. That child's behaviour is hardly the best advert for his parents' theories...

Speaking of rubbish theories, today I met some parents who have bought into some very expensive and non-evidence-based programme to "treat" dyslexia and dyspraxia. :( They told me that they are taking their son to a "world-leading psychologist". The person in question doesn't have any kind of psychology degree, and certainly not a practitioner doctorate. Both the title and the adjective are self-bestowed. Unfortunately I didn't have much luck persuading them that this is not a good route to go down - evidence-based practice sounds so dry and killjoy when you compare it to glossy brochures and photos and anecdotal testimonials. :evil:
- A.A. Milne.