The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
rhapsodyinred

Re: The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by rhapsodyinred » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:31 am

ell wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:43 pm
rhapsodyinred wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:18 pm
I'm fed up with my manager making:

b) racist comments: after a black client who is very sensitive about race after having faced discrimination at work in the past asked to join the table in the community centre that my manager was sitting at, said manager answered "no, this table's only for white people".
Not to minimise the other things you mention, but this stands out to me because it was said to a client. I would go so far as to suggest that this could be something that the manager could face disciplinary action over.
Yeah, that was the one that made me angriest - though the first "that sounds a bit gay" comment was made when my manager joined me in an appointment with a client, re: going to the gym and just sitting in the sauna.
Most of the team has been thoroughly pissed off about his different comments. We'll now have a middle manager between team leaders and the head of services, so he'll have a new manager that people can speak to without going all the way up to the top, which feels much more like tattling. I told said middle manager when we were staffing a drop-in together, and his words were: "that's f*cking unacceptable and antiquated. He's not going to get away with that sh*t when I'm his manager!" I'm hopeful that will pan out.

Of course, the team leader responds really poorly to being called out, or even having things gently pointed out to him. "Oh I only meant it as a joke"...it's not funny! :x

On a lighter note, these work laptops are shockingly bad. Plus we only have four internet cables for seven staff members, so that's infuriating.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Esuma

Post by Esuma » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:52 pm

That’s horrendous :shock:

Going down a bit of a negative spiral. I really need to get out of my current job as I’m not learning and developing anymore and as far as experience goes I’ve got as much psychologically as I’m likely to ever get and have had to fight to get that as is. They don’t owe me anything as I’m not employed as any kind of psych grad role which I try to remind myself of but I feel like I’m doing nothing but standing still. I’m still struggling to get that fanciful first AP job, it’s always come down to someone else already having an AP job or more experience. I know I’m not great in interviews as my nerves get the better of me and I’m not great with the formality and awkwardness of it. Just feeling so trapped and fed up.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:52 pm

Can the phone stop ringing? It's not even for me!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:05 am

Anxious demanding parent, you should be proud that your child is doing so well academically, given how very unwell they've been. So be proud, and stop bombarding me with aggressive emails criticising how I do things and trying to get me to push the child harder. I know you are anxious, but you need to deal with your anxieties constructively and stop treating your child as your stress ball. Stop pressuring them. They're doing just fine as they are. Now get out of my inbox.*

* Note to self: stop checking work accounts at the weekend.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.