Alternatives to Jordan Peterson

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
hawke

Alternatives to Jordan Peterson

Post by hawke » Sun May 03, 2020 11:13 am

I have a family member in a bit of a low place at the moment - struggling with difficulties like relationships, career and finances, that I'm sure will be familiar to many. He's quite interested in psychology, and is currently finding solace in Jordan Peterson. He also finds anything from a sports/armed forces perspective resonates with him. He has a very individualised competitive view of humans, and is drawn to things that boost his self-esteem by teaching him to become a better version of himself within this framework.

While we have some good conversations about psychology, I'm very conscious that my own perspective on this doesn't resonate with him. I can't help but see his difficulties through the lens of neoliberalism, social justice and toxic male masculinity, but I struggle to even find a starting point to talk about these ideas as they're so far out of his (and many others') ZPD.

I'd really like to recommend some other lay-person psychology books/videos for him that offer a different perspective to Jordan Peterson, but in a way that is accessible and not too threatening to his existing world view. Does anyone have any suggestions?

rebeccaroisin

Re: Alternatives to Jordan Peterson

Post by rebeccaroisin » Sun May 03, 2020 4:44 pm

You could try Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002ROKQNS/ ... TF8&btkr=1).

It's clearly written, well argued and addresses how developing emotional intelligence can help with the relationship/career challenges your relative is having in a clear, accessible way. It has a good evidence base and is well-referenced too. The cover is a bit sensationalist ("Why EQ matters more than IQ! This can revolutionise your life!"), but the substantive content of the book is not. I listened to it on audio book a few years ago and would happily read the whole thing again more than once.
It makes a strong argument for why recognising and talking about feelings helps you to live a fulfilling life; and makes it clear that these are teachable skills that many people lack.

I also like The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zimbardo (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004XIVP7W/ ... TF8&btkr=1). It's about "How good people turn evil" and the core argument is that everyone is capable of doing terrible acts in the right (wrong) environment. Zimbardo is the researcher behind the Stanford Prison Experiment and a lot of the book is about that. He definitely over-trusts the validity of his own findings in that "experiment", but despite that I found that the core message of the book really resonated with me. I thought it did a great job of explaining the fallacies behind various bits of toxic masculinity (in particular the "My friend X is a good person, they would never rape/assault/abuse someone" narrative that absolves so much toxic behaviour), but in a way that feels accessible to someone who is alienated by phrases like "toxic masculinity". The book also has a big section on the Abu Ghraib abuses by US soldiers in Iraq (Zimbardo was an expert witness), so if your relative is interested in military stuff this might appeal.

Spatch

Post by Spatch » Sun May 03, 2020 10:50 pm

From what you describe, Harris O’Malley at Drnerdlove.com is someone to look into. A good antidote to toxic masculinity, good relationship advice And genuinely helpful self improvement, he is the best anti Peterson I can think of.
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon May 04, 2020 4:04 pm

Brene Brown? (she's written quite a few books for mass audiences that are based around compassion)
Give and Take by Adam Grant? (I read this and it connected for me)
How to live a good life? (I haven't read it, but there is a podcast with a big following and it gets good reviews)
Factfulness? (I've watched the TED talk and it was inspiring)
Authentic?
Stumbling on happiness?

I quite like Waitbutwhy? as a blog. But my favourites (and you can spot the theme of kind, witty comics that have stopped being drawn) were Hyperbole and a half, and Boggle the Owl.

In fact, I have a whole bookshelf of inspirational titles that I haven't read yet!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

hawke

Post by hawke » Mon May 11, 2020 8:49 pm

Thank you very much everybody! This is really helpful. I have started by recommending the blogs - WaitButWhy is my favourite, and I definitely remember coming across drnerdlove during my last phase of dating. I am going to take a look at the books for my own general interest and then leave them lying round the house - it would do me good to break out of my reading bubble as well.