Everyone's a little bit crazy (normalising thread)

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
lakeland

Post by lakeland » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:52 am

I sometimes have intrusive images of me smashing/crushing glasses with my hands and being covered with blood - usually when I'm stressed.

I'm a trainee - so I'm stressed a lot. I've never self harmed either.

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:04 am

I'm on nights at the moment, so when all the patients have gone to bed and its really quiet... I get the urge to run down the corridor (like " woooooooooo") and wake them all up...

Bit snide really, not that i would ever do that.... :roll:
There may not always be a solution to the problem, but there is always another perspective...

HayleyT

Post by HayleyT » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:10 am

I have thougts about pulling the handbrake on in the car when I'm on the motorway, and on a certain bit of motorway where there is a turn on a bridge what would happen if I just kept going and didn't turn.

I am pretty scared of heights but this is mainly as I'm worried I'll jump/throw myself off and can't shake these thoughts off once I'm at any height (particularly in open multi story car parks)

I also have a sort of waking dream thing where I often have somone sitting on the end of my bed, and lots of times I've tried to speak to them and recently got dressed under the covers as I din't want them to see me in my Pjs!

I am an AP, soon to be Trainee

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:27 am

HayleyT wrote:I have thougts about pulling the handbrake on in the car when I'm on the motorway, and on a certain bit of motorway where there is a turn on a bridge what would happen if I just kept going and didn't turn.
me too! That and turning the ignition off and on again to see what would happen...

moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:29 am

I along with someone else who posted get the urge to drive on the other side of the road sometimes...

And.. when the motorways have those "5 mins to junc 21" i get the urge to beat the time...
There may not always be a solution to the problem, but there is always another perspective...

nlg

Post by nlg » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:32 am

I have the handbrake one as well.

when i'm driving quite fast i have thoughts of suddenly turning and smashing into te curb/railing.

When i'm laying in bed i get worried that the house is going to catch fire or someone is going to break in so i have to go round the house making sure all the windows and doors are locked and turn off any electrical stuff. I know nothing bad is going to happen and i lay in bed saying to myself don't be stupid. But once i have the thought i can't go to sleep without doing it.

It's pretty funny reading everyone elses. I really like the throwing water in people's faces one.

noodle

Post by noodle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:45 am

Oh I was thinking about things like this a while back, and how much are behaviour is guided by social norms. I had a few strange thoughts about actually breaking them, for examples in a meeting having a kind of 'urge' about just standing up and shouting something or whilst driving, just ignoring the rules and how easily this could cause an accident.

Also I used to fiddle with stuff when I was little e.g. I had a teddy whose label had to be replaced 7 times because I loved rubbing it in my fingers. Now if someone is wearing something like a necklace that looks good to fiddle with I get a bit fixated on it :oops: :oops: :oops:

postgraduate

Post by postgraduate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 am

If I see a singular magpie, I have a moment where I scan to see if theres a second...one for sorrow, two for joy...and when I can't find a second I have an unnecessary feeling of foreboding! :lol:

davidcordner

Post by davidcordner » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:59 am

I have a few surrounding driving. Often when im on the motorway, I take my hands off the wheel and see how long I can drive before going onto the other lane/hard shoulder. When its pitch black and im on a secluded bit of road, sometimes i turn the headlights off and just beep the horn for ages. :? :?

I also have a cat and live in a fifth floor flat. I cant help wondering what would happen if she jumped/was dropped out the window. :oops:
"Scared to face the world, complacent career student. Some people graduate but be still stupid" Kanye West

BenJMan

Post by BenJMan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:59 am

postgraduate wrote:If I see a singular magpie, I have a moment where I scan to see if theres a second...one for sorrow, two for joy...and when I can't find a second I have an unnecessary feeling of foreboding! :lol:
I'm sure this is only supposed to apply when your pregnant and on the verge of giving birth.

1 for sorrow, 2 for joy, 3 for a girl, 4 for a boy, 5 for silver, 6 for gold, 7 for a story never to be told!

Thats how I was taught anyway!

KitKat

Post by KitKat » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:45 pm

postgraduate wrote:If I see a singular magpie, I have a moment where I scan to see if theres a second...one for sorrow, two for joy...and when I can't find a second I have an unnecessary feeling of foreboding! :lol:
I do too! I've been told (by my very superstitious grandma) that if there's only one magpie, you have to salute it and say "Good morning/afternoon/evening captain, how's your wife?" It's ridiculous but I always have to salute now even if I'm on a bus or walking down a crowded street - I just try to make it look like I'm scratching my head or shielding my eyes from the sun. If I can't salute for some reason, then I feel really uneasy!

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:13 pm

Whilst not offering up any personal signs of bizarre thought, I just wanted to say how cool it is to read everyone else's - it made me feel really 'normal' - not because mine are any less odd, but just to know that some of my experiences are shared felt really good :D

Actually, that felt a bit exploitative - watching everyone's stuff, and not offering up one:

I worry that I might kill my family in my sleep, so I warn my husband at bedtime that I might, and just to watch out for me. He finds it very condusive to a restful bedtime (not) :twisted:

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Just a thought Ruthie, are you getting contributions from anywhere else too? Is there a danger these could be dismissed as 'mental health workers are a weird bunch...'? A friend of mine pointed this out when I did a similar survey.

jennyc

Post by jennyc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Cows kind of freak me out. I hate driving / walking past a field of them because I can't shake the feeling that they have been sitting up talking to each other before I arrived, and that they'll be sitting up gossiping about me when I'm past. Also their eyes are weird. They look like they know things. Sorry to any cow-lovers out there!
"Once you get the blanket thing you can relax, because everything you could ever want or be, you already have and are."

mandy20

Post by mandy20 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Ruthie wrote:
mandy20 wrote:Sunflowers make me feel agitated. I was in a bad mood once and as i was walking past someones garden, when i saw a GIGANTIC sunflower peering over the hedge, i angrily threw my chips (with hot chilli sauce in) at this sunflower, and ran away whilst lauging to myself :twisted:

Really wierd hey :)

:lol: THAT is brilliant! Mandy, can I ask what your job role is - because I'm planning to use this for sure!!

Chixta I will almost certainly use your quote, " (not that I would ever actually do this, or indeed any of the things I have mentioned). I just have a very vivid imagination!! " It's the interpretation of the experience, not the experience itself that is distressing - beautifully put!

As for Mandy, I am imagining how that would come across if you said it to a consultant psychiatrist in a ward round. "Ms20 is not a risk to herself but is a risk to sunflowers..."

Oh my giddy aunt, that is HILARIOUS! I will be laughing incongruously for the rest of the day! :lol:

Im both a Support Worker & AP :) Enjoy!!