Anxiety documentary for Support Group

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
rothko26

Anxiety documentary for Support Group

Post by rothko26 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of help...

Am running an anxiety support group for CAMHS service users next month and looking for a suitable documentary to break up the monotony of me blathering on about psycho Ed. stuff.

I used clippings from the Extreme OCD Boot Camp documentary for an OCD Group I've run, and it was really well received.... so ideally looking for something similar, content that 12-17 years olds can relate to.

I was considering looking into the vloggers who discuss their anxiety journeys, but it feels a bit unbounded and I'm uncomfortable directing them in that direction.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks!

Liv

Re: Anxiety documentary for Support Group

Post by Liv » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Would any of Don't Call Me Crazy work? I think anxiety was mentioned on there. Don't Call Me Crazy featured life in an adolescent inpatient unit, so the age range might be useful at least.

If you can find it there was a great documentary once called Help Me Help My Child. The first episode focused on OCD specifically, but would be useful for anxiety in general as well I think - they were under the Maudsley and had some useful strategies for dealing with the anxiety and exposure.

There's an American documentary on YouTube called Social Anxiety: Afraid of People, although I haven't actually watched it, and there's also a documentary called My Child Won't Speak (originally shown on C4). It's about children with selective mutism, but is very interesting and shows the graded exposure tasks they do and goes into the anxiety they feel, so you might find some useful clips there.

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:46 pm

There is an amazing site called Mindreel (mindreel.org.uk) that has loads of really brilliant short films on various elements of mental health including anxiety - I just did a quick search and there are a few. I've used a few films from here with various groups and people usually like the fact it is focused on people's experiences and recovery.

Hope that helps!

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:27 pm

Mad Fat Diary?
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.