Recommended reading for working with older teenagers with attachment difficulties

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
lingua_franca

Recommended reading for working with older teenagers with attachment difficulties

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:55 pm

I want to do some more reading on attachment in adolescence (especially the later years). I have OK theoretical knowledge of attachment problems and developmental trauma, so I'm really looking for more applied work that focuses on practical strategies for engaging with older teenagers and young adults who face these difficulties. I've read books by Dan Hughes, Kim Golding, and Miriam, and most recently I bought a wonderful book on attachment problems in a school context, but most things seem geared more towards younger children. A lot of Kim Golding's story ideas are fantastic, for example, but it can be difficult to adapt these for the more worldly wise teens who feel patronised or embarrassed quite easily. For context, I'm teaching part-time in a special school for secondary-aged students with mental health problems. I feel most confident working with the 11 - 15-year-olds. It's trickier to engage the older ones with my usual strategies, so I'm looking for fresh ideas.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
hawke

Re: Recommended reading for working with older teenagers with attachment difficulties

Post by hawke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 am

When I worked in secondary schools, Louise Bomber was my boss' obsession. You could also have a look at The Solihull Approach, they have a manual for practitioners for school age children.

lingua_franca

Re: Recommended reading for working with older teenagers with attachment difficulties

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks. Louise Bomber has a book that looks as if it might be just what I want. I've ordered it. :)
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.