The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
BenJMan
Team Member

Re: The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by BenJMan » Thu May 10, 2012 10:24 pm

THERE IS NO HUMOUR LEFT IN THE WORLD. Everybody just calm the nubbins down, relax and use your brains.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

beeny

Post by beeny » Fri May 11, 2012 9:32 pm

I HATE EXAMS

and

TELL ME IF I GOT THE JOB

and

ANTS NOW?! ANTS?????

phew. ok I'm done

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Fri May 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Man on the phone, taking my details: Can I take your name please madam?
Me: Flora...
Man: Ok Laura, is that Miss or Mrs?
Me (externally patient, but internally sighing at the predictable mis-hearing of my name): Miss. And it's Flora, actually. With an F.
Man: Oh sorry. So that's F-L-A-U-R-A?
Me (thinking 'well that at least is a new one!'): Err...no. No. F-L-O-R-A.
Man: F-L-U...?
Me (finally concluding there is nothing else for it, but wishing it did not always have to come to this):
LIKE THE MARGERINE :x

Toria

Post by Toria » Sat May 12, 2012 7:20 am

flora84 wrote:Man on the phone, taking my details: Can I take your name please madam?
Me (externally patient, but internally sighing at the predictable mis-hearing of my name): Miss. And it's Flora, actually. With an F.
Me (finally concluding there is nothing else for it, but wishing it did not always have to come to this):
Hahaha, brilliant! I do feel your pain though, I have a similar issue with my surname, grumble grumble. Thanks for cheering me up Flora (like the margarine) :D
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

diliette

Post by diliette » Sat May 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Why aren't there more honest people in the world?????? I very stupidly left my purse on a train yesterday and no-one has handed it in :evil: :twisted: !! Then there's me, who even if I find a pound on the floor put it in a charity box rather than spend it. And it's not really the money someone has stolen :evil: that's bugging me (at least they'll be able to use that) it's everything else that is of absolutely no use to them now but has/will take me hours to sort out - credit cards, loyalty cards, my student ID etc, and even the purse itself (I don't really have the time at the moment to go looking for a new one and it has a very good memory associated with it and it was perfect for my needs). If you are the kind of person who doesn't hand valuable things that you find in can't you at least just take the money and leave everything else.

Am also very annoyed at myself for being so stupid as to leave my purse on the train in the first place which isn't helping my mood any. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela

ell

Post by ell » Sun May 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Toria wrote:
flora84 wrote:Man on the phone, taking my details: Can I take your name please madam?
Hahaha, brilliant! I do feel your pain though, I have a similar issue with my surname, grumble grumble. Thanks for cheering me up Flora (like the margarine) :D
I have met Toria, and I know that she does have a similar problem with her surname. The number of times she has to say "It's Toria Ican'tbelieveit'snotbutter... LIKE THE MARGARINE" :wink:

Toria

Post by Toria » Sun May 13, 2012 10:01 pm

ell wrote:
Toria wrote:
I have met Toria, and I know that she does have a similar problem with her surname. The number of times she has to say "It's Toria Ican'tbelieveit'snotbutter... LIKE THE MARGARINE" :wink:
:P
Hahaha! I can't believe you've outed my full name on a public forum ell!
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Intravenus

Post by Intravenus » Sun May 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Ugh, need to rant but am aware its totally futile and it's hard to get the point across as it's a high profile case..

Basically I work in a Court, and we recently had a case come in that I'd read about in the papers. Anyway, I read the psychiatric report and chatted at length with the Probation Officer who wrote the pre-sentence reports, and the conclusion was that the defendant had mental issues which had been vastly exacerbated by cultural taboos and I'd say borderline abusive family members adding to their isolation and paranoia. Obviously I felt awfully sorry for the person and hoped they'd receive a sentence which would allow them to access the help they need (which I think they did).

Anyway, they were sentenced a few days ago, and suddenly its all over the local papers, but it's been twisted to make the person look like some sort of evil criminal. I've seen it happen a few times and it upsets me so much. This person needs a chance at a life once their sentence is over but the media don't seem to care about this. The poor persons name is splashed all over the article too. Horrible.

I know it's a futile rant but it's been playing on my mind a lot..

daisie

Post by daisie » Mon May 21, 2012 5:42 pm

It's no wonder you haven't been supporting me properly!!!

FuzzyDuck

Post by FuzzyDuck » Tue May 22, 2012 5:46 pm

Toria wrote:
ell wrote:
Toria wrote: Hahaha, brilliant! I do feel your pain though, I have a similar issue with my surname, grumble grumble. Thanks for cheering me up Flora (like the margarine) :D
:P
Hahaha! I can't believe you've outed my full name on a public forum ell!
Don't worry, neither of you are alone.

-- Mr Utterly-Butterly

(Although in seriousness I could spend a while ranting about my surname, and the mis-spellings and mispronunciations that generally occur)

Campion

Post by Campion » Wed May 23, 2012 12:35 pm

I've had enough of seeing that facile liberal hashtag of choice 'firstworldproblem'. Seriously? Of course I have first world problems I live in the first world.* The sort of catastrophic disaster required for me to suddenly have, say, third world problems is massively unlikely.

Boiling down every potential thing that can happen to me and batting it away as irrelevant because I live in the first world is condescending, fatuous and rude. Also to suggest that it's simply a humorous retort to people whose fridge has broken down shows a level of ignorance about the socio-economic constructs of three worlds, what happens in all of them and what is unique to each that frankly baffles me.

Campion.

*Technically, I actually live in the economic North, no-one really uses the three worlds economic model anymore, but complaining that the hashtag should actually be #economicnorthproblems is another rant entirely.
'Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people.' - Saki.

Nat89

The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by Nat89 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Abusive clients, managers that couldn't care less and the wonderful piece of advice that is "you need to get a new job" yeah thanks I actually hadn't realised that....oh and having to work both bank holidays and being grumbled at by the boy and friends for this as if its a choice :-(

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Mon May 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi NHS Jobs

Please stop closing your posts stupidly quickly, its really bloody annoying, I hope you enjoy reading through the vast majority of completely generic, rushed and downright awful applications that will no doubt been submitted by people in an attempt to actually stand a chance of applying for a position.

love and kisses x
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

Nat89

Post by Nat89 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:16 pm

Gilly wrote:
Please stop closing your posts stupidly quickly, its really bloody annoying,

I know!! It is so frustrating! It has happened to me twice already this week, mid way through applying and its closed :-( Don't they know we have lives to lead and cant spend all day in front of a computer!

workingmama
Team Member

Post by workingmama » Thu May 31, 2012 6:56 am

If you make one more phone call in our open plan office, and persist in feeling that you need to literally scream down the phone so that everyone is forced to manage your conversation as well as all the other racket - and WORK - than I may have to snip your phone line under the desk. Ha. :twisted:
Fail, fail again, fail better.