The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
han10

Re: The Cathartic thread - rant here!

Post by han10 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Ha! I didn't - I submitted it at the same time as thesis - now, like you, trying to face looking at the reviewers suggestions. I have 4 unread emails from said supervisor in my inbox.....I'm waiting for her to start phoning me.

(right sorry for diverting the cathartic thread, and probably filling Posie with dread at the thought of having to face her lit review post qualification - submitting your thesis is amazing, as is finally getting through viva corrections and graduation and getting your weekends and evenings back! You have lots to look forward to and it will come!)

Rannasaurus

Post by Rannasaurus » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:09 pm

I had to drop co-facilitating a group because of having too many other work commitments and feel really sad!
Is it normal to love your job so much that it's quite sad stopping bits of it?! :?
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Estate agents. I will say no more!

lastditchattempt

Post by lastditchattempt » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:10 pm

Payment by Results - whatever happened to patient centred care?
The golden rule is that there are no golden rules.

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:39 pm

To whoever who managed to remove my clinic room booking yesterday, resulting in a CPN barging into my room right in the middle of of an intense exposure session with an OCD client - ARGHHHHH!

Seriously, I was so angry on behalf of my client (who was actually really good about it, maybe it was a helpful reason to stop the exposure task!) I sent a very enraged e-mail to the admin manager. Which I hope was reasonable, rather than rage filled...

And breathe.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:51 pm

My publisher asked me to write an endorsement for a new book they've got coming out. I read it and found that while it doesn't reference my book at all (despite mine being pretty influential in this area, hence why I've been asked for the endorsement!), it does lift some of my insights. I know for sure this writer has been using my book because, in support of the argument she 'borrowed' from me, she quotes a writer whom I quoted...but hasn't corrected a punctuation error I made when including the passage in my own manuscript. She obviously hasn't even read the original source. Later she mischaracterizes and attacks an idea I advanced in my own book in a vague general way, i.e: "Some people have said X, but I think X is obviously wrong and misguided because bla bla..." This is another idea that only appears in my own book! The rest of her work is thick with references so it's not that she's sloppy with referencing generally. This is the second time that a professional has helped themselves carte blanche to my stuff while making no mention of my name, and I'm getting seriously annoyed. Is this the norm in publishing? Or are they doing it because I published this book as a teenager and they're too up their own backsides to acknowledge that their sophisticated academic selves are using a kid's work? Grrr. :evil:
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Getting in my yearly rant related to people who applied for Salomons but can't spell it!

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:51 pm

lakeland wrote:Getting in my yearly rant related to people who applied for Salomons but can't spell it!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Toria

Post by Toria » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:36 am

Argh how is it possibly so complicated to order resources for training that is part of my job description to deliver?!?!?! Maybe I should just make the session into 3 hours of interpretive dance and hope it is as helpful as the actual training package.

Humph.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Campion

Post by Campion » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:43 pm

lakeland wrote:Getting in my yearly rant related to people who applied for Salomons but can't spell it!
Is now secretly glad he applied instead to Ofxord...

Campion.
'Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people.' - Saki.

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:10 pm

Campion wrote:
Is now secretly glad he applied instead to Ofxord...

Campion.
I managed to spell psychologist wrong on an application the other day. Luckily I caught it in time but who knows what else got through...
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Spent two days on an application form, all day today researching (after checking the vacancy hadn't closed), went to double check everything and submit and BAM. VACANCY CLOSED. ARGHGHGHGH.

Had almost convinced myself I stood a chance of getting an interview too :cry:

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:07 am

Why does it take so long to get paid for private work?!! :evil:

SheRa

Post by SheRa » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Things I won't miss about my job:
1. People walking in to my "clinic room" to get their lunch because the fridge is in here
2. Working in a room that also stores clinical waste and is right next to the back door that SLAMS shut and makes my poor clients jump out of their skin!
3. Not feeling part of the surgery team
4. Manager telling me thinks they "probably shouldn't say, but..."
5. Inappropriate referrals... No I don't do dream interpretation
By the Power of Grey Skull!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 pm

I had a workshop proposal accepted by a conference. The call for proposals said that each workshop would be forty-five minutes long. Today I get the final programme and see I am sharing that forty-five minute slot with two other presenters and that somehow I am expected to give my workshop in fifteen minutes. They asked for it to be interactive and participatory. How interactive and participatory can you be in a quarter of an hour?! And it's two days to go until the conference so now on top of my massive amounts of other work I'm trying to bastardize my workshop into a paper. This is not the topic I would have chosen for a paper - it's something that needs group discussion and activities! - and I'm annoyed at the lack of organisation that's been shown.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.