YAY for me?

Anything that does not fit into the above categories, but is related to psychology, including discussion of public and media perceptions of psychology, satire related to psychology, etc.
DrFurbs

YAY for me?

Post by DrFurbs » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi guys, I would just like to run this past you as Im quite inexperienced with regards to posts within the NHS etc. It might have some significance it might have none what so ever, hence my question.

Ive been looking for ages to get volunteer experience with some sort of professional in a clinical setting, research etc. but to no avail. My wife recently mentioned she interacts quite a lot with the Trusts Behavioural Team in our area and that it could be an option to pick up some experience with the team doing assessments etc. (I say etc, but I have no clue what they do).

Any ways, it seems that the behaviour team is low on members as they are retiring or moving jobs and all that is left if now the senior behaviour therapist. After talking to my wife whom she knows quite well, she was quite happy to take me on and come across as keen as her workload as very high. Now I have no idea what a behaviour therapist does, I do believe she is a social worker by career but has done a Msc in other things, but Im unsure of the nature. I think my wife has mentioned she assesses children, adults and puts in place interventions; but again Im unsure.

I don't start until Easter, as she has requested that I get my vetting done and that I contact the Trusts volunteer service so that all the relevant and necessary paperwork is in place.

So, what do these people do and will it be of any benefit to me?

Dr.Dot

Post by Dr.Dot » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:37 pm

I would think that the Behavioural team, will draw very much on learning theory and use ABA as a basis for intervention, and most likely you will be working in the Learning Disability field. So it is all that positive and negative reinforcement/punishment, extinction of behaviours, and motivating operations, of operational behaviours.

I think it would be excellent experince for you. I may be biased, as I have quite a rich background in behavioural work, and draw on it often. That said, there is a lot of the behavioural model in CBT (e.g. behavioural experiments, hierarchies for exposure in anxiety (generalised, OCD, phobias and social etc. cf. systematic desensitisation).

There is also some work on the intergration of the behavioural model with the psychodynamic, Paul Wachtel has some books on that.

So yes yay you! You would be working with a psychological model, that devises a particular type of formulation, which is scientific, based on the 'laws' of behaviour that BF Skinner devised, and has since been added to. And you would be gaining experince with a clinical population.
Dorothy: Now which way do we go?

DrFurbs

Post by DrFurbs » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:31 am

Dorothy thank you for clearing that up, thats just great!