I have 3 or more cats
7%
I own so many cats that I'm known locally as 'Catwoman/man'
1%

Total votes: 114

Elsie

Why do so many psychologists own cats?!

Post by Elsie » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:15 am

Apparently 1/4 of all households own one or more cats. However, I keep reading on the ClinPsy forum that many of you own cats, and I wondered if psychologists owned more cats than compared with the statistic for the general population? Is there a link between being intersted in psychology and cat ownership?

Feel free to respond in the poll and add your two cents worth.

Does anyone have a psychological hypothesis/theory to offer???! :lol:

Rach

Post by Rach » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:49 pm

There's also an AS and A2 level textbook written by people who really loved cats and there is a cat illustration on almost every page!

Rach

nettyb

Post by nettyb » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:35 am

I'm allergic to cats so I answered a. Although I think kittens are sweet (grown up cats not so) I avoid them like the plague. I'm sure I almost had an anaphalactic reaction once!

There's a group of about 5 girls in my cohort who love cats and spend hours talking about them! Can't see the attraction myself.

Mr Ben

Post by Mr Ben » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:56 am

Andy Field, who wrote the godsend "Discovering Statistics" Likes cats and his book, though being about stats, has a cat illustration on every page (almost)!

May be it is not so much that Psychologists prefer cats, but rather, Psychologists who own cats are more likely to go on about them, than normal people who own/like cats...?

I prefer Dogs myself.
just...keep.........going...

Kari

Post by Kari » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:30 am

Mr Ben wrote: Psychologists who own cats are more likely to go on about them, than normal people
Are you suggesting that psychologists are not normal?!! :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss

I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realized who was telling me this. Emo Phillips

Elsie

Post by Elsie » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:52 pm

Mr Ben wrote:Andy Field, who wrote the god send "Discovering Statistics" Likes cats and his book, though being about stats, has a cat illustration on every page (almost)!
Ah yes, Andy Field...I have his book "Discovering Statistics Using SPSS" (it's very good) and there are tonnes of cat pictures in it. Incidentally, I just looked up Andy Field and this is a direct link from his teaching homepage, all about his cat!

When you get to the bottom of that webpage, notice that next to the University of Sussex logo he has written "It could be improved by filling the campus with cats."!!!
Last edited by Elsie on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
-~-Maya Angelou-~-

x Laura x

Post by x Laura x » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:27 pm

I LOVE cats, and find it quite funny that this seems to be a bit of a trend among psychologists. I am particularly fond of the silver tabby and British blue, but have never owned either. I thought the cat on my avatar was really beautiful, so was quite chuffed to find this pic (even though its eyes have clearly been Photoshopped!).

Ok, so technically I don't OWN two cats, but that's what I put on this poll, since where I'm staying at the moment there are two cats, and my mother has two cats (which I did grow up with, so they're kind of mine!).

Bella

Post by Bella » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:01 pm

I LOVE cats - but don't have any at the moment. That might change though as soon as I move to our lovely house (fingers crossed that it goes thorugh ok!!) Im lucky as my fella likes cats too - although he really wants a house rabbit!

My Mom has 6 cats and has always had them. When I was younger loads of them used to follow me to school - that was fine until I grew up a bit, then it was just embarrassing!! :oops:

Deus

Post by Deus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:00 pm

I love cats! They are so easy to look after, and have fab personalities. They are so cute. I want a house full of cats and dogs one day, a good mixture :wink:

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:23 pm

This is mine:

He's a house cat, 11 years old and still as playful and affectionate as a kitten!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Jem

Post by Jem » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:33 pm

I love cats too. Mine is called Candy and she's adorable! Our vet says she needs to diet though, because she's too tubby! Anyone any tips? We've tried feeding her smaller portions but she practically screams at us for more!
If nothing ever changed, there'd be no butterflies.

Mr Ben

Post by Mr Ben » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Jem wrote: Anyone any tips? We've tried feeding her smaller portions but she practically screams at us for more!

Top Cat Tip:

Don't give in!!! :P :P :wink: :lol: :lol:
just...keep.........going...

Tizer

Post by Tizer » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:41 pm

I think Hills do a food for cats that need to lose weight. Most pet shops and your vets should stock it. It is a bit more expensive than regular cat food, but you need to give them less (and it fills them up!).

What do you currently feed your cat on?

I have 4 cats, 2 moggies, a Somali and an Bengal leopard cat (who is an F5!).

Claudia

Post by Claudia » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:07 am

Incidentally, I just looked up Andy Field and this is a direct link from his teaching homepage, all about his cat!
I have been having a chuckle looking at his website, and enjoying the cat piccies too!

I've got 2, although I had them before psychology.

& as for the cat dieting tips I'm with Mr Ben - don't give in, & remember that vets say that cats can go without food for a couple of days (as long as they have water). Other options coudl be to gradually reduce their food, or give them less food overall but divide it up in to more frequent mealtimes

escapee

Post by escapee » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Jem wrote:Anyone any tips? We've tried feeding her smaller portions but she practically screams at us for more!
We exercise our cats with one of those laser pens - you know with the red light. They love it, you can get them to run up and downstairs quite easily.
Re - the portions, give less if you're going out, it's easier to cope with!