Free online courses from universities across the world

For anything not related to psychology
Morningstar

Free online courses from universities across the world

Post by Morningstar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:51 pm

Er, just to clarify, this isn't spam, though I know that title might seem suspicious! Open Culture has put together links to free courses in topics ranging from astronomy, economics, chemistry and journalism from universities across the world. Thought there might be something that would catch the interest of people here, whether its seeing how other unis teach psychology or branching out into something completely different!

http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

Personally I'm going to take a look at the UCLA lectures on Families and Couples, and the Yale course on Death, but I suspect at some point I may spend hours exploring less 'familiar' avenues!

sar302

Re: Free online courses from universities across the world

Post by sar302 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Is it wrong that I get ridiculously excited by the prospect of free education???!!! Yey!!
Never assume that the other fellow has the intelligence to match yours... he may have more...

Will
Team Member

Post by Will » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm

The Ann Kring lectures are alright for anyone wanting a reminder of undergrad stuff :)

Though I've just remembered on one lecture she makes a spectacular hash of explaining negative reinforcement. She does apologise the week after!
Ponderings and wonderings in 140 characters - @willcurvis

Morningstar

Post by Morningstar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:55 pm

sar302 wrote:Is it wrong that I get ridiculously excited by the prospect of free education???!!! Yey!!
No! It's awesome :D

zeferis

Post by zeferis » Thu May 09, 2013 11:18 am

Also coursera and edx...seem to have fab range of courses!
Zef

sar302

Post by sar302 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:15 pm

Ive just started a course called "inspiring leadership through emotional intelligence" which is quite interesting!
Never assume that the other fellow has the intelligence to match yours... he may have more...

BlueCat

Post by BlueCat » Thu May 09, 2013 10:38 pm

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

blue86

Post by blue86 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:48 pm

Has anyone tried the free courses from US universities?
Edx https://www.edx.org/
Coursera https://www.coursera.org/ - has courses from all over the world, including France, Japan, Italy, China and so on.

They have psychology courses but also in other interesting subjects such as health, culture and diversity, history, literature, etc and most give out certificates for successfully completing the course.
The online environment is very dynamic and you get the chance to ask the professor questions or discuss with classmates from all over the world.

enid

Post by enid » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:59 pm

I have enrolled on a few Coursea ones for next year - I must be insane, given how many committments I have...but there you go, I am addicted to learning! (And the word 'free').

blue86

Post by blue86 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:39 pm

enid wrote:I have enrolled on a few Coursea ones for next year - I must be insane, given how many committments I have...but there you go, I am addicted to learning! (And the word 'free').
It depends when they start I guess.. If they are more spread out, they might be doable, depending on your schedule. You can also drop some of them if you find they are not what you wanted. But if you have the time and energy to take full benefit of them, I hope you will find the learning experience very rewarding.

Saoirse

Post by Saoirse » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:11 pm

Just wondering, with coursera etc., would you put them on your CV?

blue86

Post by blue86 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Saoirse wrote:Just wondering, with coursera etc., would you put them on your CV?
It depends on the course and how big is your CV. If you are just starting out, having some nice certificates from good universities in interesting courses might be worth mentioning. If you already have a Masters or above, maybe not so much. If you are taking something relevant to a particular job you can mention it in your cover letter. For example in an application for a neuroscience RA post you could mention you're currently taking the Analysing fMRI Data course, that could show some interest in the subject. I wouldn't go overboard though, this is more for you than for adding extra stuff to your CV. Just my opinion.

MissScarlett

Post by MissScarlett » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:37 am

blue86

Post by blue86 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:07 pm

MissScarlett wrote:I might be a bit late on this but https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/men ... well-being
Thank you for the link! That looks like a very interesting course. Are you currently enrolled? What do you think about it so far?

MissScarlett

Post by MissScarlett » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:19 pm

No Im not enrolled but I have recommended it to a lot of friends based on the description, and Peter Kinderman of course!