What are you listening to?

For anything not related to psychology
lakeland

Post by lakeland » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Right now I'm watching blur at Glastonbury on BBC 2. Saw them live last week, for the first time since 1997 when I was 13. Also off to Hyde Park this week to see them.

I blooming love them!

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:01 am

Having just spent the weekend filming an edition of "Songs Of Praise" with my choir, I am now stuck with Harvest hymns on repeat loop in my head....

....if I ever have to sing "We Plough The Fields And Scatter" again, it'll be too soon :evil:

:roll: :wink:
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:57 pm

lakeland wrote:Right now I'm watching blur at Glastonbury on BBC 2. Saw them live last week, for the first time since 1997 when I was 13. Also off to Hyde Park this week to see them.

I blooming love them!
Oooh I saw that, it looked brilliant.

I've been listening to Alice in Chains a lot recently (my fave band).

postgraduate

Post by postgraduate » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:42 pm

I listen to alot of bjork, portishead and recently a bit of royksopp! (listen to the girl and the robot, its great).

Love Zero 7/Air/Cinematic Orchestra type stuff

I like Winona (check them out http://www.myspace.com/winonaofficial).

Any recommendations from anyone who detects a theme in my music taste are most welcome-I love listening to new music!

Postgraduate :)

Campion

Post by Campion » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:26 pm

postgraduate wrote: Any recommendations from anyone who detects a theme in my music taste are most welcome-I love listening to new music!

If you will indulge me Postgraduate, I would suggest the following artistes of a musical nature.

Strawpeople. An excellent NZ Band, you can find them on Youtube, look out for 'Taller Than God', 'Boxers' and 'No-one Like You. An interesting band if you're fond of Portishead. I do suggest you listen to them in that order too, although I don't know why. :D

I think you might also like Bat For Lashes as well. Check out 'Daniel' if you haven't already.

Campion.
'Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people.' - Saki.

postgraduate

Post by postgraduate » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 am

I like Bat For Lashes but haven't heard of the NZ band you mentioned so shall look them up thank you!

postgraduate

Post by postgraduate » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:19 am

And Strawpeople are ace! :D

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:28 pm

How about Sigur Ros? Banco de Gaia? Moby has also done some good chill-out tunes (eg 'God moving over the face of the waters', which we played during our wedding).
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

postgraduate

Post by postgraduate » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:01 pm

I like Sigur Ros but have not heard of Banco de Gaia so will look them up too. It feels like Christmas has come early this year for me with all these suggestions for music to listen to! :D

secret squirrel

Post by secret squirrel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 pm

postgraduate wrote:I listen to alot of bjork, portishead and recently a bit of royksopp! (listen to the girl and the robot, its great).

Love Zero 7/Air/Cinematic Orchestra type stuff

I like Winona (check them out http://www.myspace.com/winonaofficial).

Any recommendations from anyone who detects a theme in my music taste are most welcome-I love listening to new music!

It might be a bit slow for you, but have you ever listened to Brian Eno? He popularised 'ambient' music, which is the theme you have detected in your own musical taste! You can listen to the first album he released on his Ambient label, 'Music For Airports,' on spotify.

I've only listened to it recently but it's quite lovely.

Campion

Post by Campion » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:32 pm

postgraduate wrote:And Strawpeople are ace! :D
I'm so glad I could help expand your musical horizons, albeit only by an inch or two I'm sure. I love some of the music of NZ, I spent a long time there and I highly recommend a brief recce through youtube checking out their music, especially the eighties output.

If, like me you have some eccentric musical tastes, you would enjoy some of the earlier work of the Kiwi group 'Split Enz', the first and best of the Finn Brothers bands (Split Enz/Crowded House/The Finns).

I suggest you look for the really early work - 'Poor Boy' and 'Dirty Creature' in particular are both great, an awesome mix of Morrissey circa 1986 and Genesis circa 1968*.

Campion.

* You know, when they were actually good.
'Think how many blameless lives are brightened by the blazing indiscretions of other people.' - Saki.

Elsie

Post by Elsie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:01 am

Campion wrote:If, like me you have some eccentric musical tastes, you would enjoy some of the earlier work of the Kiwi group 'Split Enz', the first and best of the Finn Brothers bands (Split Enz/Crowded House/The Finns).Campion.
I love them all! And have you listened to Liam Finn? He's the son of Neil Finn, and very different from the above - but super talented (he plays all of the instruments on his tracks using a looping pedal mechanism - seeing him do this live was jaw-dropping!). He rocks my world! :wink: :lol:

I also echo miriam's suggestion of Sigur Ros - one of my all-time fave songs is Hoppípolla.
People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
-~-Maya Angelou-~-

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Elsie wrote:And have you listened to Liam Finn? He's the son of Neil Finn, and very different from the above - but super talented (he plays all of the instruments on his tracks using a looping pedal mechanism - seeing him do this live was jaw-dropping!).
David Ford, subject of my first post on this thread uses this technique to awesome effect also. See this single take recording of State of the Unionfor example...

I finally listened to some Shins today, and was quite impressed :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Campion

Post by Campion » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Elsie wrote: I love them all! And have you listened to Liam Finn? He's the son of Neil Finn, and very different from the above - but super talented (he plays all of the instruments on his tracks using a looping pedal mechanism - seeing him do this live was jaw-dropping!). He rocks my world! :wink: :lol:
Wow! Liam is brilliant, he looks like his father but he has the musical depth of his uncle, that's a pretty fortunate mix really! Thanks for the link Elsie, I'm going to be keeping a keen ear out for that young man from now on. :D

If you are fond of the Finn brothers, there was a similar band about in the nineties called the Muttonbirds and they did some good work, particularly 'Anchor Me' and 'Nature'. Try and find the NZ versions though as the UK releases were all produced to make them sound like a second-hand Suede.

Speaking of, I think I'll go and look up some of Suede's B-sides right about now, they must have been only band in the world that saved all of their best music for the B sides, 'Sadie' is just awesome, as is 'Europe is our Playground' and 'Killing of a Flashboy'.

Campion.

ilikeblueskies

Post by ilikeblueskies » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:57 am

I recommend Maxwell's new album "BLACKsummers'night"...its very beautiful and he is very beautiful too :wub: