Posting about your personal life

For anything not related to psychology
Geishawife
Team Member

Re: I still miss my ex!!

Post by Geishawife » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:26 pm

Then you think wrong. I simply don't understand your objection. However, I'm not going to get into an argument with you and hijack someone else's post.

miriam
Site Admin

Re: I still miss my ex!!

Post by miriam » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:36 am

alexh wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:13 pm
While people might still be well advised to be circumspect, what purpose or benefit is there in letting non-members view our off topic musings?
The forum aims to level the playing field and offer public access to as much of the content about psychology/psychologists and their diversity as possible. I wanted all the content to be suitable for a professional setting, and to let people thinking about this profession get a view of us as people that was a little wider than just our academic and work questions and answers, so it seemed appropriate to allow some "staff room" conversations about books/films/TV/politics/hobbies/pets etc, but we have been mindful to create a structure and culture that is professional in tone as this makes it easier to moderate and ensures that we provide a suitable impression of clinical psychology as a profession.

We do only allow signed-in members to see the members area. That has one section where we keep the logs from livechat events, and some content I didn't want to be public at the time (like my blog about leaving the NHS). There is also the section for trainees to talk to each other. Both are quieter than the rest of the forum, suggesting that it doesn't encourage more conversation, but is instead less prominent/visible.

Whilst we have thought about whether to have more members only areas, we didn't want to give people the impression that a non-public section was the right place to discuss people we are working with, our colleagues or intimate details of our personal lives. We intentionally don't have a paid tier to allow access to additional content, and whilst we allow off-topic conversations these always need to be suitable for the workplace.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

alexh

Re: Posting about your personal life

Post by alexh » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:38 am

I think the staff room metaphor is very apt. I don't recall being allowed into the school staff room as a pupil, nor are patients or visitors allowed into my workplace's staff room.

If we had our workplace breaks in a public area the conversations would be very different in character, with considerably more circumspection. On the other hand, although we congregate here we are not a team.

I don't believe having this subforum open to view furthers the overall mission. Luckily for me I am able to understand the alternative arguments. I think if misc off topic didn't exist member's area would end up fulfilling a similar social function.

An in between position might be to move borderline topics like this one from here to the member's area.

miriam
Site Admin

Re: Posting about your personal life

Post by miriam » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:34 pm

Yeah, I think if people want to use the member's area for a topic they don't want to be public they could. And I can see some rationale for off-topic only being accessible when signed in. But on the other hand, most conversations that don't feel comfortable to have in public probably aren't suitable for this forum, so I guess I can see it both ways :)
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com