Relocating to West Midlands - Where's good to live?

For anything not related to psychology
bex4010

Relocating to West Midlands - Where's good to live?

Post by bex4010 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:59 pm

Hey everyone,

I have always lived in the south and now I'm moving to the West Midlands with absolutely no clue on where is good to live.

I will need to be in commuting distance of Nuneaton and would like quite to live in a lively place but other than that I have no other requirements.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thankyou :)

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:25 pm

Well, if your idea of a commutable distance is similar to mine (i.e. about 30-45 minutes), and you're planning to travel by car, I'd say that - purely geographically speaking - you don't want be be further out than Leicester, Tamworth, Coventry or Rugby in any direction from Nuneaton. Having not lived in any of those places (despite being a born-and-bred Midlander :oops:), I'm afraid I can't recommend one over another for being lively!! Coventry and Leicester both have fairly big student populations, with the entertainments and amenties that that brings... If you're planning on finding a house-share, websites like http://www.gumtree.com, http://www.spareroom.co.uk and http://www.easyroommate.com may also give you an idea of how lively certain areas are, by virtue of their popularity and the types of people living there (students, young professionals, families....).

HTH a bit :)
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

Kentucky_Freud_Chicken

Post by Kentucky_Freud_Chicken » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:00 pm

There's only one real place to live in the WMids, and that's the beautiful city (tm) of Birmingham. The communte might be a pain though.

greendog

Post by greendog » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 pm

i worked as a support worker while i was at uni in loughborough. everyone said i was mad but i didnt findit too bad - but then i was only doing it part time. I gave myself an hour for the commute but it took prob bout 45-50mins by car - did it y train but had to change at leicster. I used to commute from both leicester and birmingham by train sometimes both of which took about 20 mins which was not too bad at all.

You starting a new job? Where are you going to be working? In the NHS? At the George Elliot Hospital or Avenue clinic - Avenue is only 10 mins walk from station - GEH is a bit too far to walk i think

Leicester and Bham are certainly both lively and would fit the bill. Coventry is a bit closer and also lively but in my opinion not quite as nice but its only an opinion.

choirgirl

Post by choirgirl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:20 am

Well, you could try Birmingham I guess (although KFC is clearly telling porkies about it being beautiful :P - the bits I drive through every week certainly aren't, unless you count graffiti and tower blocks as modern art); again, big student population, most of whom are located around Moseley and Selly Oak areas. Moseley is great for going out and having a lively atmosphere. Sutton Coldfield/Four Oaks, in north Bham, is also nice and leafy (where 'posh Brummies' live :wink: ). Although a word of warning, if you are planning to drive, all major roads into and out of Bham, and the ringroad system, are a nightmare during the rush-hour (which is about 7-9am).
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." - Red Auerbach

Lizzie84

Post by Lizzie84 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi

Isn't Nottingham really close?? Its an amazing city really good night life, shopping, students and young professionals!!! I live in Leicester which is okay but if I could have my time over I'd live in Notts!! I also heard Birmingham is great!!

Good luck with the new jobs :D

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Google maps tells me Nottingham is just over an hour, whereas Birmingham is 33 minutes, Leicester is 38 minutes and Coventry is 23 minutes.

My personal opinion is that commuting an hour or more is too exhausting to sustain for over a year. I prefer to keep commutes closer to half an hour - less if possible - but then I value extra time in bed more than being close to a vibrant social centre, so we probably weigh things up differently!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:26 pm

I'd personally go for leicester or brum (Harbourne or Selly Oak are nice), especially if you want lively. Everywhere else is a bit scummy (I'm allowed to say that, I grew up there) or a bit dead in terms of night life.

Good luck!
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:52 pm

I'd definitely recommend Birmingham! However, the commute by car, even though in theory not particularly long/far would be a pain in the behind. If you lived there the train may be a better option if you dont need to drive! plus its pricey there. personally I value extra time in bed and frugality when it comes to living arrangements, whilst still being in a decent area, and not too fussed about being able to walk 2 min to the pub, but depends what you prefer :)

Otherwise, is Wolverhampton close? Would be cheaper and it isnt tooooooo bad there. I'm just not sure how far it is from Nuneaton - not longer than brum i wouldnt have thought

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:56 pm

Wolverhampton = I wouldn't.

It's also an hour & a half from Nun.
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:00 pm

rules that out then! guessing nuneaton is closer to coventry etc in that case. I'm more from the worcs side of the west mids but know brum fairly well... would recommend it despite the prices!

bex4010

Post by bex4010 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:13 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies - I'll let you know how I got on!

SeaChange21

Re: Relocating to West Midlands - Where's good to live?

Post by SeaChange21 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Bump!

I'm in exactly the same situation as the OP, I'm going to be moving very soon to the West Midlands to start a job in Nuneaton.

I am thinking of living in Birmingham as it seems the liveliest place which would suit my interests pretty well (I love going to gigs!), plus it has a graduate community of houses which should hopefully help me make new friends in the city!

The areas I've been looking at are mainly Edgbaston and Harborne, as they seem to have the most amount of graduates there! Plus it's close to the M6.

Anyway after all that waffling I have two questions;

1. How bad is the commute on the M6 from Birmingham to Nuneaton?
2. Are there any better places to live than the ones I have suggested? (I really don't know the area very well!)

greg

Post by greg » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Hey

I currently work in Nuneaton and live in Rugby, the commute (by car) is about 30-40mins and the train is about 10 mins I think. Rugby is nice and has most of the things I need and it's not too far to cov, Leicester, Birmingham or MK for shops etc.

I know people who live in bham and commute to Nuneaton and I'm not sure they'd recommend it, also probably avoid places like leamington where you'd have to come through cov in the morning. And finally, I'm not sure id choose to live in Nuneaton, it's not quite as nice but that is just personal opinion :)

greg

Post by greg » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Whoops, just read this thread properly, sorrrry.

Yeh so Rugby isn't really lively haha

But my point about the commute from Birmingham stands, I don't think it's great but one of my friends negotiated starting earlier and finishing earlier which I think now makes it quite a lot nicer.