Relocating to West Midlands - Where's good to live?

For anything not related to psychology
SeaChange21

Re: Relocating to West Midlands - Where's good to live?

Post by SeaChange21 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks for the advice Greg :) I really appreciate it.

I'm thinking the commute might be alright, the nature of the job means I might be working unsocial hours which might be a blessing in disguise as you said! If not negotiating an earlier start might be a good idea so thanks for that :)

I think for me it's a bit of a trade off. Yes Birmingham might be a further commute but it's more important to be able to form
some friendships in a new area, particularly to help me if I'm stressed with work etc...

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35 am

If you choose to base yourself in Birmingham and need ideas to meet new people I can vouch as a previous student that the University of Birmingham student societies are usually very welcoming to non-students. For certain I can say the Circus Society (if you fancy learning to juggle), the Rock Music Society (listening mainly rather than playing), and the the Folk Music Society (playing, singing, and morris dancing) have all incuded non-students in their membership, and I'm sure that plenty of others would be welcoming too.

rabbit

Post by rabbit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I lived in Birmingham for a year and really really disliked it. Although it has all the normal city things to do, the transport system just makes it hell. I know its just my personal opinion but I also found it noisy and dirty and people arent too friendly. Because there are no trams/tubes or anything, like you get in London/Manchester etc, it basically means everyone drives everywhere.
I lived about 3 miles out of city initally, then around 12 miles out. If you really want to be in Birminham, the only place I would say is ok is Harborne. However, because it's nice and only around 3 miles from the city centre, its the most expensive place to live. However, transport still isn't great. The M6 is around 20-40 minute drive away, the nearest train station is a good couple of miles away, buses go from Hagley road which is a mile away and cycling down Hagley road is incredibly scary!
The gig venues have good train links (all the city centre ones are within short walking distance of new street station, and the arena is within walking distance of the airport). So I would say it's actually easier/shorter to get a train from outside B'ham into new street to attend a gig, than it would be to walk from Harborne get on a bus and walk again the other side (40 mins probably in total).

Good luck :)
The time will come when men such as I will look on the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men. (Leonardo da Vinci)

SeaChange21

Post by SeaChange21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:03 pm

firegal wrote:If you choose to base yourself in Birmingham and need ideas to meet new people I can vouch as a previous student that the University of Birmingham student societies are usually very welcoming to non-students. For certain I can say the Circus Society (if you fancy learning to juggle), the Rock Music Society (listening mainly rather than playing), and the the Folk Music Society (playing, singing, and morris dancing) have all incuded non-students in their membership, and I'm sure that plenty of others would be welcoming too.
Thanks for the advice :) The Rock Music Society sounds right up my street.
CharlotteD wrote:Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but I lived in Birmingham for a year and really really disliked it. Although it has all the normal city things to do, the transport system just makes it hell. I know its just my personal opinion but I also found it noisy and dirty and people arent too friendly. Because there are no trams/tubes or anything, like you get in London/Manchester etc, it basically means everyone drives everywhere.
I lived about 3 miles out of city initally, then around 12 miles out. If you really want to be in Birminham, the only place I would say is ok is Harborne. However, because it's nice and only around 3 miles from the city centre, its the most expensive place to live. However, transport still isn't great. The M6 is around 20-40 minute drive away, the nearest train station is a good couple of miles away, buses go from Hagley road which is a mile away and cycling down Hagley road is incredibly scary!
The gig venues have good train links (all the city centre ones are within short walking distance of new street station, and the arena is within walking distance of the airport). So I would say it's actually easier/shorter to get a train from outside B'ham into new street to attend a gig, than it would be to walk from Harborne get on a bus and walk again the other side (40 mins probably in total).

Good luck :)
No problem about throwing a spanner in the works! It's really good to hear opposing views, rather than setting myself on one fixed idea of where I should be living.

With all the conversation in this thread about how much of a nightmare B'ham's transport system is, I'm contemplating living in Coventry which is closer to Nuneaton and I think is only a 20/30 minute drive compared to 45/1hour if I was living in Birmingham. The only problem is that Coventry (without being too rude) isn't the nicest city in the world and coming from a less than picturesque area of South Wales, I would find a bigger city with more going on more compelling. Ah it's a nightmare! :lol:

Frey12

Post by Frey12 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:08 pm

What about Leamington spa? It's where a lot of the Warwick students live but has quite a lot of young professionals there too.

SeaChange21

Post by SeaChange21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Frey12 wrote:What about Leamington spa? It's where a lot of the Warwick students live but has quite a lot of young professionals there too.
I have had a look, but I think it's too quiet and too posh and expensive for me! Thank you for the suggestion though.

msrisotto

Post by msrisotto » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:36 pm

Don't willingly send yourself to Coventry! Far worse than Brum.

SeaChange21

Post by SeaChange21 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:24 am

msrisotto wrote:Don't willingly send yourself to Coventry! Far worse than Brum.
Even with a potentially hellish commute to Nuneaton on the M6?

On the wikipedia page for Coventry it says: "In January 2013, ITV announced that its latest reality television show would be entitled 'Sent to Coventry', aiming to be the northern antithesis of the existing show The Only Way is Essex." That doesn't sound too appetizing to me! :?

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:28 am

SeaChange21 wrote:
Frey12 wrote:What about Leamington spa? It's where a lot of the Warwick students live but has quite a lot of young professionals there too.
I have had a look, but I think it's too quiet and too posh and expensive for me! Thank you for the suggestion though.
said noone ever who had been there on a friday night ;)
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

MissScarlett

Post by MissScarlett » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:38 pm

The only place in the Midlands that meets your criteria is Birmingham.