The Credit Crunch - have you felt it?

For anything not related to psychology
rainbowfeet

Post by rainbowfeet » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:48 pm

I wish i had a pressure cooker so i could cook lentils the Indian way :(
and homemade humous is the best!!

back on topic, I think I've felt the crunch most at the petrol station- I just get so miserable having to fill up, which now costs nealy $40 when it used to be £30 before christmas :(. to combat this ive taken the highly scientific route of only filling up half way- (and thus doing so more often)- twice the work, but less of the misery! lol

me and my boyfriend are currently looking for a house to rent, and are seeing the prices steadily increase, our thinking being that as less and less people can afford a mortgage, the demand for rental properties is increasing. :(

Dr.Dot

Post by Dr.Dot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:19 pm

I am feeling it big stylie, but I think that most of what I am feeling is actually being realistic about my wage. I have been overspending every month for ages (like years). This my credit card balance is a bit of a nightmare.

I am also a bit miffed that the 70-80 quid the student loans company are taking from source isn't covering the interest.

My gas DD has increased by 50%. :evil: :evil:

I have got myself on a strict budget; using the car less; being pedantic about turning lights off (at work too); not going out for lunch or even coffee very often at all; I am having a bit of a competition with myself on the weekly food budget; taking cash out and not using my cards EVER debit or credit.

Re food: I am planning meals and sticking to it, I can feed my daughter and I for about 30 quid a week (meat as the main player no more than three times a week, so yes more lentils and chickpeas for us too!) I don't buy meat at the supermarket because you get lulled into the special offers which are false economy ( i need six sausages, so that is what i buy, not 8 and then get another pack, because it is only 75p more for 2 packs), and I am not going to Tescos, at all.

To be honest, I am finding the whole thing quite spiritual, I am cooking from scratch a lot more which makes me feel like a real mom. I am liking that I don't throw unopened slimey bags of salad into the landfill (amongst other things) every week, which is good for the enviroment (25% of food ends up in the bin) as is not using the car so much, and turning off the lights, I am walking more. These are the good things, but what I am finding most uplifting of all is that we are all in this together, it is rare that the majority of society are experincing the same thing simultaneously. I think it is good for the collective psyche, this thread and the increase of lentil eating is just one example of that. I like the shared experince that this hardship brings. Even if I am not able to go out for lunch twice a month anymore. But I am still able to eat! Not everyone is.
Dorothy: Now which way do we go?

charley

Post by charley » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:49 am

I picked 8lbs of blackberries at the weekend so by sunday should have 2 gallons of wine on the go - can't wait to start using all the unused parsnips in my veg box too! :D

astra

Post by astra » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:49 am

I agree with Dorothy there is something quite spiritual about it all. Cooking more proper food and thinking about the amount of waste is really important and we've been neglecting it too long in our house. I am now feeding 3 of us for £50 a week and we don't feel deprived. I used to amble round sainsburys and end up spending £80-100 quid easily and hten go back for more during the week. I try to do the shop on-line now so I can choose everything I want and then go through and delete the things that I don't need, it helps me be disciplined. I do agree with Dorothy that we are lucky to be well paid, housed and able to run 2 cars (we live way out in the country so really can't live without cars), there are many people having to make much tougher cuts. Still need to sell the gas-guzzler though!

If only we could convert the after effects of the lentils to run the car - now there's a thought. . . !

larios

Post by larios » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:51 am

we don't eat meat but have really felt the cost of dairy products going up - particularly low fat cream cheese of which we use a lot, it seems to have doubled in price. Also cans of beans and tomatoes have increased dramatically as the cheap versions seem to have disapeared.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:51 pm

I stupidly combined a 20% pay cut with a 60 mile round trip at the height of all this - I am definitely feeling it! Hopefully as petrol comes down, I'll feel it slightly less.

I also keep telling myself that I will adjust - I used to earn this wage when starting my last post, and have earned less as a NA and I managed then. But it's so true that the more you have, the more you spend. I sorted out clothes for a charity bag and was disgusted to see how many things I'd bought (mostly online) on a whim, only to dislike it and never return it or wear it. I have now stopped shopping online and Asda has become my fave shop for everything - cheap food, clothes and petrol!

I guess for all of us, it's the first recession we've gone through as adults, we've always had a pretty charmed life (even if we may not realise it). I agree that there's a spiritual air to it all - you start appreciating the simpler things in life (as you can't afford the other things :D ). I'm certainly enjoying cheap nights in with friends and family more than going to a loud bar where you can't talk and pay a fortune for drinks and taxis - maybe I'm just getting old! :lol: [/code]

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Just wanted to add to this seeing as it is now the run up to Christmas. My family have decided this year we will limit the amount/cost of presents which actually has been quite nice. It is more challenging to find things someone would like with a budget of a few pounds.

Also my friends and I are doing a charity shop challenge, presents have to come from charity shops and be less than a certain amount. I quite like this because there is a sense that we are all in it together as someone said above.

I am very lucky to have a tracker mortgage, so am paying less due to the interest rate cuts. Although any reduction has been taken up by gas and electricity bills.

Mind you, my heating isn't working at the moment, which is saving money - I am doing a lot of star jumps while wearing all the jumpers I own to compensate, which is free!