What do you do when you can't sleep?

For anything not related to psychology
daydreambeliever

What do you do when you can't sleep?

Post by daydreambeliever » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:54 am

Hi all ..

Extremely unusually for me I've woken up at 4 unable to get back to sleep and am trying to tire out my mind to let myself get some rest before training tomorrow .. with a bit of luck this'll be a one off but does anyone have any fool-proof ways of getting off to sleep? Cheers :D

vars

Post by vars » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:11 am

Hey its a bit late now if you were wanting this for last night but I read I find that it always helps me sleep or just getting up and doing something, the worst thing (I personally find) is lying there trying to sleep as it makes it harder!

Dr.Dot

Post by Dr.Dot » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Most important is to not stay in bed for longer then 20 minutes. If you aren't asleep by then, get back up and read, have a hot milky drink or chamomile tea/other herbal tea that is good for sleep. Stay up until you feel tired, g back to bed, if you are not asleep in 20 minutes get up again and so on! Don't watch the telly though!

More tips here:

http://www.umm.edu/sleep/sleep_hyg.htm
Dorothy: Now which way do we go?

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:00 am

I play a tetris type game on my nintendo DS!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

davejm

Post by davejm » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:52 pm

I really struggle with sleeping. I go through phases where I'll struggle to sleep properly for days on end over a period of time; but then I'll be fine for a few months only for the cycle to start again. It's wierd.

I'm going through a bad phase at the moment (I went to work the other day having had no sleep at all) but last night was good, and I was asleep not long after I went to bed (10pm).

Some good tips at that link you posted Dorothy. I'm familiar with most of those (having tried all sorts) and they do work to some degree. I'm sure I'd be a lot worse if I didn't make the effort to stick to a few of the things on there.

chixta

Post by chixta » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:51 am

You can also download relaxation podcasts to your ipod. I have some chinese herbal remedy for sleeplessness, it cost a fortune but it really works. Not sure whats in it, as its all in Chinese, but whatever it is works!!! Or you could take an over the counter sleep remedy like nightol.

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:01 am

sleep rememdies can be used as a last resort, but generally it's more effective and better for you to have good sleep habits (like those linked above)
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

chixta

Post by chixta » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:54 am

I cant sleep now and its nearly 7am!! :cry: :( :evil: :cyclopsani:

daydreambeliever

Post by daydreambeliever » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:35 am

Hey guys just wanted to say thanks for all the advice, it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who struggles with sleep sometimes! Chixta were you up all night? Hope you didn't have to go into work the next day?! On a tangent does anyone have any good tips for keeping yourself alert/ functioning well the day after a bout of sleep deprivation? This week I had to take my flatmate to A & E the night before my first day of placement and had to muddle through on about 3 hours sleep, adrenaline and coffee which wasn't ideal .. obviously most of the time I'm doing my best to get to bed at a sensible time before uni/ work but anyone have any survival tips in case I find myself in a similar position another time?

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:35 am

eat high energy foods evenly throughout the day (but not complex carbs, they take a lot of energy to digest and slow you down), rest when you can, and if you have to take a nap make sure it's no longer than 20-40 mins

if you find yourself flagging, go out for some fresh air and a walk if it's possible
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

schizometric

Post by schizometric » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:15 pm

I get out of bed and go downstairs to read. If I'm continually having sleep problems I might take some Kalms half an hour before bed because its usually due to anxiety for me.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:48 pm

I've done DBT training and I try to practice mindfulness when I can't sleep, as it's usually cos a million and one things are going through my head! I just focus on my breathing and usually fall asleep quite quickly

chixta

Post by chixta » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:49 pm

I think I got about an hours sleep that night. I think the best thing to do when you've had a bout of insomnia is to tell your boss, and see if they'll let you leave early, work from home (so not driving). The problem is, if you sleep during the day, your next night of sleep will be messed up too so just sleep for an hours nap and then force yourself to stay up til normal bedtime.

If I dont have a sympathetic boss, redbull usually does the trick!!!

:D :D :D :twisted: :D :D :D

russ

Post by russ » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:13 pm

The 'stimulating' essential oils like grapefruit, rosemary and peppermint are nice to have in the office while you're trying to be perky.

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:20 pm

russ wrote:The 'stimulating' essential oils like grapefruit, rosemary and peppermint are nice to have in the office while you're trying to be perky.
That's awfully natural and healthy! I don't drink tea or coffee so end up perking up on diet coke if I'm tired during the day. I was gutted on my last placement. The vending machine only stocked caffeine free diet coke. Like...what is the point?!