5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
Northernlad

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by Northernlad » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:31 pm

Victoriomantic wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:24 am
Congratulations Ell!

1. Made the difficult decision not to apply for the doctorate this year after getting so close last year. I need to focus on passing HI and actually really should spend the 1 year consolidating these skills and working towards full CBT accreditation. It is a weight off to make that decision but I still can't wait for the deadline to pass so the little voice in my head saying "psst maybe go for it anyway" shuts up.
Hey Victoriomantic. Sounds like you have made your decision, and I’m not trying to be persuasive here, but I started training this year after finishing the HI course in June and there has been opportunity to work toward full accreditation In the first year which I am doing. Might not be the case with all courses but I know of others on a different course who have also worked toward full CBT accreditation after passing the diploma whilst on the doctorate.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:50 pm

1. I need to get my sleep pattern back in sync. Since staying up late to complete a grant application (and perhaps because of various stressors) I've been struggling to get off to sleep and then feeling really tired in the daytime.
2. I must complete some paperwork to do with our farm registration, to notify we are going to build a track, and point out the RPA have marked our boundary incorrectly.
3. I must get some action on the building work. We've got a 16 week project that is currently in its 60th week, and two things I thought would be done within a year that we haven't even started yet, 2.5 years after moving here.
4. Our fridge died a couple of weeks ago, so we've been using a much smaller temporary fridge. Nothing is a better reminder of my middle-class tastes than struggling to fit in various fresh stuff, or running out mid-week. I can't wait until we get our new kitchen, if we ever get this extension done.
5. My daughter just said "mummy its nice that what you do doesn't just help us by making the money that pays for our food and bills, but it can help other people feel happier too. I hope I can find a job like that one day". Happy mummy moment.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:52 pm

1.) I must really finish this conference paper.
2.) I must really start this conference paper.
3.) I had a lovely visit from my parents in my new house. I feel as if I've lived here for ages, and it's only been two weeks.
4.) One of my closest friends is very upset after his long-term relationship ended. I wish I could support him more effectively, but he's in another country and it's not really possible to shlep over there with comfort food and buckets of tea and so on.
5.) I need to be careful with money. Moving house is an expensive business. No more impulse buys of skirts with cats on...
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:00 pm

Northernlad wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:31 pm
Hey Victoriomantic. Sounds like you have made your decision, and I’m not trying to be persuasive here, but I started training this year after finishing the HI course in June and there has been opportunity to work toward full accreditation In the first year which I am doing. Might not be the case with all courses but I know of others on a different course who have also worked toward full CBT accreditation after passing the diploma whilst on the doctorate.
Hello again! Thank you for letting me know :) I did hear that it might be possible but hadn't directly spoken to anyone who got there. I would love to have done that (plus I don't want to be in IAPT forever!) but I definitely realise that for me I need to try and take things slower as I always rush to do too much at once. I'm trying to tackle my perfectionism / over-achievement striving which can be crippling, so I'm forcing myself to slow down a little. Good to hear that it's possible though!

Hoping the decision doesn't bite me on the arse later!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:17 am

1.) My mum had a heart attack yesterday. She's in hospital. I thought she didn't seem quite right when I saw her on Saturday, but I didn't say anything. :cry: This came as such a shock, as she doesn't smoke, she eats healthily, and she and my dad spend half their lives hiking up hills. The doctors say the surgery was successful but she will need to stay in a few days longer while they perform some more tests.
2.) I'm coming down with a cold. A colleague had full-on flu recently, and I was with her on Friday. I hope it's not that. I feel a bit worried about visiting my mum just in case it is.
3.) The whole neighbourhood has been knocking at the door to find out how my mum is. I'm quite touched. My dad is saying that that he is going to put a sign outside like they do at Buckingham Palace.
4.) The end of my postdoc is fast approaching and I need to write a paper and prepare a poster presentation for a conference. I will miss this project, but I'm excited about what might happen next.
5.) Being a trustee for a mental health charity has given me a lot of insight into third sector and NHS governance, specifically how the CCG works. I didn't expect I would find this aspect of the work so interesting, but I really like it and I'm looking forward to the next meeting.
- A.A. Milne.

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:07 pm

Oh Lingua, I hope she's ok. Must've been a real shock. I'm glad your dad is able to find some humour in it though!

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:56 am

Thank you, Lakeland. I think my dad could find humour in almost anything. :) He's a great one for that.

1.) I rang Parental Central, expecting to get my dad, only to be greeted by my mum's voice. I think she was nearly deafened by my excitement. She has to go back in for another operation in the New Year, but for now she'll be fine at home providing she takes it easy.
2.) 'Taking it easy' is not really in my mum's vocabulary. She is already mildly exasperated that my dad won't even let her go to pick up the phone - he rushes off and brings it to her chair if the caller is for her. It's strange to see her so tired, but wonderful to have her back. I'm so glad things weren't worse than they were.
3.) My cat got into the bin and extracted the empty Dreamies packet, festooning the kitchen with rubbish in the process. Then she did a little more avant-garde papercutting work on my bedroom wall. Most of the time she is such a cuddly placid cat, and then suddenly she will turn into a succubus of Satan for an hour or two and wreak untold havoc.
4.) I'm worn out. I've had a bad cold and a terrible amount to do (I organised a symposium this week, and it was far more work than I'd bargained for), and it's a miracle it all went smoothly given the upheaval with Mum. Today in the town centre my whole skeleton suddenly felt as if were made of Play-Dough, insufficient to support the rest of me. I don't know how I got on that bus home. I napped for three hours and now I'm getting the Play-Dough-y feeling again. Bed for me, and no alarm clock for the morning.
5.) Too tired for a fifth thought, other than, "My cat is very snuggly."
- A.A. Milne.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:34 am

Lingua I'm glad to hear your mum is on the mend. Do look after yourself with that cold.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 am

1.) It's been a rollercoaster of a month. On the up: yesterday I was offered some extremely generous funding to carry out a three-year research project I proposed all the way back in August, to start next autumn. I'm a bit dazed. I'd be based at a very prestigious uni (and I know prestige isn't everything, but it usually translates into good research facilities...) and working alongside academics with really exciting work. I still keep looking at the offer letter, just to remind myself it's real.
2.) On the down: it's almost a year to the day that my friend C died. She'd had life-threateningly severe asthma for years, and I'd just got used to her wheelchair and the various tubes she was attached to and all the hospitalisations. I knew it was bad, but I never thought it would kill her. It might kill other asthmatics, but not her. The last thing she ever said to me was over the phone. "I'm sorry, Lingua, I need to go and have a bath. I really smell!" with a laugh. That was it. We never spoke again. Her last days have been playing on my mind on repeat lately.
3.) On the up: I think I've had a breakthrough realisation over a young person I teach at special school. He's been frustrating me, as he's so resistant to doing any sort of work. I have been trying to encourage him by pointing out that learning will give him choices for the future - he might not want to do anything related to his school subjects, but at least he will have lots of options - and today on the bus home it suddenly hit me why this hasn't been working. This kid has never been offered a meaningful choice in his life. He was taken into care only recently, and all he's ever known are neglect and abuse and people telling him what to do. He is unlikely to understand what I mean by "having options". I don't know why it took me three months to see this, but better late than never.
4.) On the down: I am tired out and no amount of sleep seems to be enough for me lately. I don't know if this is stress, the hangover from my cold (I'm still snuffly and coughing), or something that I should go to the GP about. On my last day off I lay down for an afternoon nap at three p.m. and didn't wake up until nearly nine. I was frustrated with myself ("Now you won't sleep tonight!") until I noticed that the sky...wasn't dark. It was daylight. I'd slept right through the night. Seventeen and a half hours. :shock:
5.) On the up: I have a very affectionate cat. Some might say that nuzzling and licking your earlobes just as you're dozing off is too affectionate, but she means well. :P
- A.A. Milne.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:38 pm

1. Culturally adapted BA training successfully delivered in Turkey :D We got really good feedback, useful insight in to region specific issues around mental health and therapy as well as a potential to go back next year.

2. The only downside to above was that they were 5 packed days so instead of a weekend, I only had yesterday to recover before coming back to work.

3. Hosting Christmas dinner with friends this weekend :D very exciting to see everyone, catch up and make plans for 2019.

4. Must find some time to rest, clean and start present shopping before going home to Newcastle on the 22nd!

5. Spa day in Liverpool on Friday - yay!
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'