miriam
Site Admin

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by miriam » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:15 pm

workingmama wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 am
lingua_franca wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:11 pm
1.) At the beginning of the month I spent five days as a psychiatric inpatient. I think that short week will be informing my professional life for a long time to come. It was an eye-opening experience. It also left me with a lot of hope. There was one conversation with a psychiatrist and another with a lovely kind-hearted HCA that felt life-changing, even though on the surface they were so simple. Whenever I catch myself thinking that I can't possibly make a difference to someone because I don't have enough resources/skills/time, I'll remember those two and what they managed to achieve for me in such a short space of time.
I'm so sorry to read of your illness this month. Sending hugs and every possible good wish for a continued recovery and return to wellness x,
This. And thanks for sharing. It is too easy to think of them and us when it comes to mental health, but lots of us flit between both roles (and probably end up more insightful clinicians for it) so it is good to have that conversation.
lingua_franca wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:11 pm
2.) I've got an allotment now! I'm very excited. The idea of putting seeds in the earth and getting edibles out feels like sorcery. I know nothing about growing anything, but I love being in the outdoors, and I'm keen to learn.
If you PM me your address, I can send you loads of seeds. I got 150 packets free with some wooden trugs, and planted about 5 of them!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:40 pm

1. Feeling annoyed as an organisation agreed for me to do a big (18 month) piece of work, then strung me along with delays for 4 months before changing their plan entirely and telling me they were pulling out on Friday, whilst I had passed up other work on the basis of our verbal agreement.
2. Generally feeling a bit tired and stressed too, as I've got lots of little battles going on in my home life (mis-sold holiday, incompetent builder, faulty vehicle, a festival failing to refund after turning into an inaccessible mud-slick, and I'm still trying to reach a settlement after my RTA in 2015) and now BT openreach contractors have dug up my driveway during the rainiest weather in years, and seem surprised their trench flooded and baffled what to do about it, so they've left us with no safe access to the house all weekend.
3. On the positive side, an independent factor analysis by an academic confirmed my five factor model for BERRI, and is helping us to write a paper about it. And an AP at my company is presenting at the PQG stream of the DCP conference about our project.
4. Reading books to my children often adds extra dimensions. They enhanced my view of the Harry Potter books, but having picked Twilight as our current read we've had a whole different set of conversations about stalkers, self-esteem and putting yourself at risk, which are useful but make me horrified this book was so widely read by teens without such scaffolding.
5. Can't beat having real fires in our wood stove. Except perhaps by watching three cats lounging about enjoying sharing the warmth of a real fire.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

luckyrabbit

Post by luckyrabbit » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:58 pm

1. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm cut out for Cambridge, but I think in the sea of students surrounding me, the feeling is mutual.
2. It's best not to bring up politics around my family.
3. I wish we talked about death more openly in our culture.
4. I may not have written 50k words of my novel this month...but I've written 30k more than I would have otherwise.
5. I never get sick, now I am sick, it feels weird getting sick.