5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
firegal
Team Member

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by firegal » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:30 pm

lingua_franca wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:19 pm
1.) My mortgage application has been APPROVED! :D I'm ecstatic. It's going to be so lovely to have a house of my own. I'm trying not to get too carried away in case the surveyor finds asbestos or that it's built on a swanp or something, but I think I'll have Indian takeaway to celebrate.
2.) First the house, then the horse. I must get saving.
3.) The proofs for my forthcoming book are here, which always makes me feel like a parent viewing the first ultrasound of a new baby. As it's an academic hardback priced at a ridiculous sum I'm unlikely to earn anything from it, but every little helps the horse fund.
4.) I love this bracing windy weather we're having.
5.) My cat's diet isn't going well. She managed to pilfer a sponge cake and then regurgitate it on the stovetop.
Are you me? I feel like you are me on a slightly different timeline (let's be honest I WISH I was writing a book right now).

1. Just had email from the estate agent, looks like things might be moving. Time to put away any fears about whether or not we're paying the right amount and get excited about our first house!!!!
2. Can't wait to go riding again on Sunday, was musing a couple of weeks ago whether you ever really recapture the sheer joy you get riding when you're a kid, but in my last lesson felt like there was a little spark of it there again, all I needed was a mare with a little bit of attitude.
3. Desperate for my academic day tomorrow so I can finally get this paper written, it's been hanging over me for way too long. Who ever would have thought that balancing your first newly qualified clinical job with a couple of days of academia would be anything less that pure inspirational bliss?
4. Looking forward to a socially distanced bbq with friends tonight
5. Reflecting on how lucky my partner and I are to be in such a position of security - reading an article today about 15,000 applicants for 10 assembly line jobs in Birmingham puts it in terrifying perspective.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:27 pm

firegal wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:30 pm

Are you me? I feel like you are me on a slightly different timeline (let's be honest I WISH I was writing a book right now).
Congratulations on your house buying, and be careful what you wish for. :P Towards the end I felt as if I were wading through half-set concrete. I'm so glad the proofs are off my hands, although no doubt when the author copies arrive no doubt I'll notice half a dozen things I wish I'd changed!
firegal wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:30 pm
2. Can't wait to go riding again on Sunday, was musing a couple of weeks ago whether you ever really recapture the sheer joy you get riding when you're a kid, but in my last lesson felt like there was a little spark of it there again, all I needed was a mare with a little bit of attitude.
I recently took a five-year-old girl on a woodland ride and taught her how to currycomb the pony. Her excitement over this and her reaction to her first trot catapulted me back to that fizzing childhood joy, and I had a sudden vivid memory of the first time I jumped. If you're ever in the North East, let me know. None of my riding friends live nearby and I always want people to hack out with.

1.) On another horsey note, last night I emailed two people with horses for sale or adoption. :shock: Now I keep compulsively checking my email to see if they've replied.
2.) Wild alternative career plan 472: set up a therapeutic riding centre. Before the pandemic I was taking a small group of my teenage students (young people with significant trauma histories or difficulties with anxiety) to riding lessons. The difference in them was astonishing. There is a girl who always speaks in a whisper when she talks at all, and around the horses she started to speak at a clear volume - I nearly jumped out of my skin the first time I heard her voice.
3.) As part of my Tavi course I'm meant to be observing an infant from birth up until the age of two, for an hour per week. The pandemic has interrupted the observations. I feel quite restless and lost without that hour, and I hope it's safe to resume again soon.
4.) I miss my friends. I haven't seen a lot of people since before lockdown, as they live quite far away. I feel really sorry for one who has come to England to do her PhD. She isn't exactly having a fantastic first-year experience.
5.) Ginger cake and custard isn't the healthiest lunch, but it's what I'm having. Mmm.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:48 pm

1. This pandemic isn't getting any less stressful. I feel very lucky in all practical senses (we have outside space, have managed to home educate the kids okay, have a flexible business that could move to video, and no personal experience of serious illness/bereavement) but none-the-less utterly emotionally depleted by the need to make decisions in the context of intangible risk, and the backdrop of rising polarisation in the world, and the corruption/selfishness and incompetence of politicians...
2. We recently secured a big loan to progress my business. This can potentially allow us to get going with things we could not otherwise afford. But taking on a loan isn't real money - we have to pay it back - so need to spend it frugally and ensure we are able to create enough income to repay it in 12 months time when the interest rate jumps up.
3. We are moving out of our office next week, as we have been working from home since March and can't envisage returning to being fully office-based in the foreseeable future, so the rent would be dead money. However, this means I need to archive all my old files, pack up all my books/journals and remove/store my office furniture, and that's quite a lot to organise in 6 days.
4. I've got a cold. I don't know how this is possible, as I've been all but shielding, but I've got a headache, congestion, tiredness and the feeling of operating at 80% capacity, so I'm trying to take it easy until I feel better - which isn't easy with a massive to do list!
5. I'm enjoying reading novels for the first time in ages. It is normally an indulgence I only do on holiday. But it has been a lovely lockdown luxury.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:48 pm

lingua_franca wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:27 pm

2.) Wild alternative career plan 472: set up a therapeutic riding centre. Before the pandemic I was taking a small group of my teenage students (young people with significant trauma histories or difficulties with anxiety) to riding lessons. The difference in them was astonishing. There is a girl who always speaks in a whisper when she talks at all, and around the horses she started to speak at a clear volume - I nearly jumped out of my skin the first time I heard her voice.
Have you seen the work that Misty Blue in Co Durham do with equine therapy? I attended a presentation on the trauma based work they did with people there with their horses.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:59 pm

lakeland wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:48 pm
lingua_franca wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:27 pm

Have you seen the work that Misty Blue in Co Durham do with equine therapy? I attended a presentation on the trauma based work they did with people there with their horses.
I hadn't, but my new house is close by! I'll get in touch as soon as I've moved. Thank you for the heads up! I'd Googled riding centres in the Durham area, but for some reason they don't appear in the search results.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:19 pm

1) My daughter returns to school this week and I am more emotional about it this time than I was on her very first day.
2) Think it's because I have so enjoyed watching her learn and grow whilst being "home schooled".
3) Picking blackberries in the woods as a family was soo mu h fun (even if the dogs did eat almost as many as we collected!)
4) Thinking of moving house but finding what we want is a nightmare!
5) I am a lucky lady

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm

1) I'm also a Mum with mixed feelings about return to school. Mine are starting secondary, so that feels really grown up too. It seems only a blink since they were toddlers.
2) Time has gone really wonky since March. I can't tell days of the week or what month it is since I've been working from home. Maybe this will improve as the kids go back to school.
3) Going to the optician in a mask on Friday was weird. The equipment kept fogging up. Plus it seems I am at the age at which bifocals are required for me to read books or my laptop screen. I find both options available to give me both near and far vision via contact lenses equally mind-boggling: using one eye for near vision and one for distance, or bifocal contact lenses. Evidently the brain is plastic enough to adapt to either. But for the latter, I'll have to forgo my astigmatism correction and therefore have stronger short-sightedness correction, alternating with my new prescription for reading.
4) We won a grant! The biggest I have ever applied for. It should fund half our project costs for the next 18 months, plus an evaluation from UCL/Anna Freud Centre. The loan will provide the match funding. The temporary increase in staffing will double the size of my business. If I can get all the paperwork filed on time and pass their due diligence, that is.
5) We are in the process of moving offices, as I can't see us returning to working all together in one room by the end of the year. I hope that we can have a smaller space to store stuff and meet up from time to time for 12 months, and then review when the long-term picture (both for covid and the business) seems clearer.
Miriam

lakeland

Post by lakeland » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:56 pm

Gosh Miriam I remember when you had your babies! Hope they settle in to secondary school. And congratulations on the grant, great that your business keeps going from strength to strength.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:50 pm

lakeland wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:56 pm
Gosh Miriam I remember when you had your babies! Hope they settle in to secondary school. And congratulations on the grant, great that your business keeps going from strength to strength.
Thanks Lakeland. Kids remind us how fast time passes, I think.
Miriam

elsaar

Post by elsaar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:56 am

1. Yesterday marked two weeks since I got a new car. Yesterday was also the first ever time I got a flat tire. I thought it was a pothole and my awful driving. Turns out, it was a nail IN the pot hole. At least it wasn't my fault.
2. RAC is my knight in shining orange van.
3. There was a billet search at the prison I work at and they found a box with a hedgehog under a prisoner's bed. Interesting choice of pet.
4. The doctorate applications have opened and I am slowly feeling more incompetent and freaked out.
5. The news that you cannot meet more than 6 people is kind of moot and funny, since I don't think I even know 5 people I could meet at once.