5 things I'm thinking today. . .

For anything not related to psychology
sweetpea

Re: 5 things I'm thinking today. . .

Post by sweetpea » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:01 pm

^ Yes! You’ve got this!

1) Genuinely chuffed with myself for having survived (and passed!) my awful placement. :D
2) Two weeks off have never felt so overdue!
3) Now to slow myself down...
4) ...How do I do that again?
5) It’s 7pm and still light outside. 8)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
newmember2017

Post by newmember2017 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:02 pm

1) Nearly some time off! Cannot wait for a break.

2) Waiting on interview results is horrible :shock:

3) Trying not to do a post mortem after each one...trying.... :cyclops:

4) Hate how this process makes me feel! So great day to day...so awful in interviews!!!!! :oops:

5) Fun times - I am glad I am not alone in this!! :alien: :alien: :alien:

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:35 pm

sweetpea wrote:^ Yes! You’ve got this!
Thank you :)

1. I am so tired. Why is it that sleep leaves me when I need it most?

2. My plan is to comfort eat and start uni work over this bank holiday weekend- it will go some way towards making me feel more in control of things...I hope.

3. Already thinking about another holiday...Makes me feel so far from my goal of having a day to day life from which my need of vacation is significantly less than now.

4. 89 days to gooo!

5. Just reflected on above. I am *bundles of joy* recently...sorry guys!
'Forget what hurt you. But remember what it taught you'

Esuma

Post by Esuma » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:16 am

1.) This week has been so busy I feel like I’ve hardly had time to breathe, things that should be fun have become a disorganised stressful mess!
2.) I feel like there’s a lot on my shoulders at the minute and it’s only going to get worse going forward, I think the pressure is all coming from me and my own expectations but I can’t help but feel responsible for trying to keep us moving positively
3.) Now I’ve got the interview date for the doctorate it’s actually all a bit real and the anxiety is setting in
4.) I keep allowing myself fleeting thoughts of if I get on and the warm fuzzy feelings of pride but I’m trying to keep grounded for the more than likely disappointment to follow
5.) There’s so many people around helping me which I’m so grateful for!

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:41 am

Esuma wrote: I keep allowing myself fleeting thoughts of if I get on and the warm fuzzy feelings of pride but I’m trying to keep grounded for the more than likely disappointment to follow
I feel ya!

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:36 pm

1. The last 3 and a half days have been surreal. People really have the power to change how one is feeling by just being present.

2. Weekend in Southend :D Followed by a week off for university work (that's the plan!)

3.How is it still so cold and snowing? Where is spring 2018?!

4. Next month holiday -Dubai?

5. I need to sleep.

Victoriomantic

Post by Victoriomantic » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:28 pm

1. Am I doing enough for interview prep? Am I doing too much?

2. I really need to start seriously planning tattoo #2

3. I hope my friend is getting along OK in hospital. Shall go and visit her again tomorrow.

4. I want to learn all the psychology things!

5. I also want to find a creative skill that I am truly good at but I struggle to accept the concept of "you need to practice for it to get good".

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:23 am

1. Viva passed, what a very intense experience!
2. I am never doing a systematic review ever again as long as I live.
3. I'm not sure I am going to know what to do with all the free time I have now! Maybe I need to take up a hobby.
4. I will make everyone call me Dr for a week, and then will go back to normal :)
5. I need to stop buying self congratulations presents....

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:51 am

Congratulations, Curlyhair, that's wonderful news :)

1. Horrible virus. I feel exhausted and achy (including in my eyes), with a tight chest and headache that makes it really hurt to cough. It keeps tricking me by letting me feel better for a few hours, and then pulling me back in.
2. Feel extra bad about having time off, as it means that our new starter has been in almost on her own for three days, until our AP returns from leave. Plus there is lots of exciting stuff I want to be getting on with! But I know I need to rest until I recover, otherwise it will drag out for ages.
3. I've been thinking about how we get more people involved in moderation and helping out on this forum, as at the moment most things fall on the same small handful of people. Likewise we haven't produced an issue of Aspire for ages, so we need to get on that!
4. Feel a bit more optimistic about my business at the moment - We seem to be making lots of really exciting connections with inspiring fellow social entrepreneurs, and setting up potential collaborative projects. It is hard to balance demands in the here and now (like paying the bills) with investing in the future.
5. At risk of sounding like the sentimental part of an oscar speech, my last thought of the evening is that I'm very appreciative of my family right now. Having some down time has also given me time to observe their kindness towards me, and articulate my gratitude. My awesome husband who is such a support to me in so many different ways - practical, physical, emotional - and has always let me know that whatever chaos I'm into I'm not alone. My delightful, kind, interesting kids who ask the best questions, and challenge me to be the mum they deserve. My parents who continue to show the love they brought me up with to their kids, grandkids, in-laws and extended family. And my three cats, who remind me that living well involves eating, playing and plenty of time to chill and sleep.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

CurlyHair
Team Member

Post by CurlyHair » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks Miriam! It'll be strange being able to call myself a qualified clinical psychologist - and thanks to you and this forum for being part of that journey! I'd be happy to help moderate if you are looking for helpers :) And, more importantly, I hope you feel better soon.

nomnom

Post by nomnom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:03 pm

1. A month before fasting starts. A little bit apprehensive. It really affected me last year with work and university deadlines, with this being the final year, I really can't afford any mistakes. On top, I've been losing weight anyway due to lack of sleep and poor appetite so fasting for 30 days won't help that. Hmm. I need some reflection time to learn from last year and put some steps in place to ensure I get to 26th June in one piece.

2. So I booked Dubai for May. I was excited at the time however, now I'm wondering if it was a wise decision given everything going on. It's only money if I decide not to go. I have time to decide anyway.

3. I am really missing home. Something about sitting in front of the fire place, watching tv with mum, dad and siblings feels very warm when I think about it. Maybe I could look at dates to go home after June? Hmm.

4. We went to a spa yesterday - it was so needed. Although the last two times I have been, I have ended up with a major headache. I don't know if that is from dehydration from the steam rooms/sauna or from the smell of the massage oils. Further, it reignited my love for a good skincare product :D

5. One day at a time. One step at a time.

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:16 am

^ Fasting is so tough, nomnom. I hope you manage to find and embrace those steps to make it work for you.

1) First week of placement 2 was a mind-blowing total 180 from placement 1 (- in a good way!).
2) Feeling like I really need to stop, reflect and regroup to make the most of these next 6 months.
3) Need to rediscover some semblance of work/life balance.
4) Sunshine!!! :D
5) Also, stop procrastinating... :shock:

MindfulPsych

Post by MindfulPsych » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:04 am

1. I've been offered a job interview for the next step up from my current job. Excited by this and incredibly nervous as I know the people interviewing me. Questioning my clinical ability again but I do know I can do this job.

2. Actually cannot believe i've been offered an interview! :D

3. I really do hope this brings some positive news after not getting on the clinical doctorate this year

4. I had the best weekend with my girls and i'm very happy

5. :D

firegal
Team Member

Post by firegal » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:41 am

1. Cannot believe I'm in my final week of placement
2. Once this week is over that marks the half way point of this course, something that is both encouraging and terrifying at the same time!
3. I have enjoyed my current placement, it's been a lovely team to work in and I have learned so much from my supervisor and colleagues, but on the whole it has confirmed that my passions lie elsewhere
4. So very very excited for my next placement - almost worryingly so, I'm not sure it can live up to my expectations if I'm honest
5. I have so much to do in the next couple of weeks, why oh why did I not schedule some annual leave for myself, or at the very least I could have finished up with therapy clients last week so that I could make sure I had ample admin time to tie up all the loose ends here.

(sneaky 6 - so of course rather than finishing off that end of therapy letter, I'm writing this post! :lol: )

ChrisCross

Post by ChrisCross » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:01 pm

1. My holiday was amazing and the rest was much needed but now I have a serious case of the post-holiday blues!

2. Second placement seems to be off to a much better start. It's amazing what a difference the supervisory relationship makes.

3. Have decided on giving up on trying to find and stick with one therapeutic model that "fits" with my beliefs (against last supervisor's advice) and instead focusing on being a genuine person. Fed up of this nonsense that people should be squeezed into boxes for the sake of research.

4. Feel like I'm generally keeping myself afloat at the moment but very much still fantasising about dramatically quitting the course and starting a new life on an island somewhere - maybe allowing myself some escapism is what keeps me going? :P

5. Catching up on The Walking Dead has been fun but it's no Game of Thrones.... Need something to fill the void!