Integrity in Codes of Ethics and Conduct

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

ForensicPsychobloggy

Integrity in Codes of Ethics and Conduct

Post by ForensicPsychobloggy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:15 am

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right part of the forum to post this.

The BPS has have ethical guidelines for all psychologists which are built on four principles: respect, competence, responsibility and integrity.

I was wondering if anyone has examples from clinical practice of an ethical dilemma involving integrity? I am trying to think of examples for a reflective diary but really struggling, even though I probably come across this quite often! :oops: :oops:

"Acting with integrity is described by the BPS as valuing “honesty, probity, accuracy, clarity and fairness”. Being objecting, and open to reflecting on and questioning one’s own behaviour without acting in self-interest. BPS says psychologists should consider: “honesty, openness and candour; accurate unbiased representation, fairness, avoidance of exploitation and conflicts of interest; maintaining personal and professional boundaries; and addressing misconduct”.

Spatch

Re: Integrity in Codes of Ethics and Conduct

Post by Spatch » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:21 am

Here are a few integrity related dilemmas:

- You are working with a service user and you clinically feel that they need more sessions, the evidence collated suggests this and your clinical supervisor also agrees. However, your service has a strict limit on how many can be offered which your manager enforces. Do you follow management or do you offer what the service user needs based on the evidence?

- You work for a busy CMHT that has a very lengthy wait time for psychology. A former service user of yours gets back in contact as they feel they need to see you again for therapy. When you explain the waiting list is currently 18 months, they say "That's no problem. I can pay to see you privately." Would it be ethical to do this?

- Your assistant psychologist has been amazing and you rate them highly, and think they would be a valuable addition to the profession. They are applying for a DClinPsy course that you are involved with selection for. They ask you for help/a reference/mock interview/tips. What is the appropriate level of help you should give?

- You fancy the new Band 8d at work. They fancy you. They are your supervisor.

- If you are being honest with yourself you are becoming seriously depressed. You need to work to pay the mortgage and support your family. Should you be working?
Shameless plug alert:

Irrelevant Experience: The Secret Diary of an Assistant Psychologist is available at Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irrelevant-Expe ... 00EQFE5JW/