MHFA training

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

bicycleclips

MHFA training

Post by bicycleclips » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi
I've been offered a place on some MHFA (Mental Health First Aid) training. It looks really good but takes place over two days just a few days before my undergrad exam, so eats into my revision time, and i'm obviously aiming for a first so every revision day is precious!
Has anyone got experience of MHFA and would they recommend it? I'm in a voluntary position facilitating creative writing on acute secure wards, and in the last year of my undergrad degree.

thanks
You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance. ~Franklin P. Jones

mali

Re: MHFA training

Post by mali » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:55 pm

I would personally concentrate on getting a good degree rather than do the 2 day training that clashes with your revision. I'm sure you can get another chance to do this later on. Lots of voluntary organisations offer this course- even if you have to pay a small sum. If you get a good degree than getting clinically relevant experience will weigh more than a 2 day training- which is quite basic. In my current job I had a chance to do this course and my supervisor said there's no need as I have already completed a pg dip as part of iapt training. So good luck whatever you decide.

Ruthie

Post by Ruthie » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:25 am

It looks like an interesting course (just googled it) but I agree with mali - unless you're the kind of person who is going to be super organised, revised up and chilled out in the few days before an exam (and oh how we hate you if you are - no offence ;) ) take the revision time (and some relaxation time) before your exam. These sorts of courses come up all the time so there will be plenty of opportunities in the future.

Ruthie
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken Him completely by surprise.

HayleyT

Post by HayleyT » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:44 am

I have been on this course, I thinkits a good course but its very basic. I got the idea from it that it was aimed at companies and people with little or no experience in mental health or any background in understanding mental health issues. It covered things like prevelance and basic ideas on what depression/anxoety is. I wouldn't miss your revision for it, I think its a great course but aimed at people with no knowledge or understanding or experience.

bicycleclips

Post by bicycleclips » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks, that's really useful advice. I'm definitely not the sort of person who's revised and relaxed before an exam so I'll pass on the training this time I think!
You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance. ~Franklin P. Jones