breaching confidentiality

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Geishawife
Team Member

Re: breaching confidentiality

Post by Geishawife » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Whilst this thread has focused on safeguarding of children (understandably so, because the original post was around safety of children) I think it is important to make it clear that the same principles apply to ANY vulnerable person. If there are concerns about anybody in a vulnerable position being at risk of abuse (of any kind, not just sexual abuse), be they an adult, an older person or a person with a learning disability, we have an absolute obligation to act on those concerns.

I really do think we are at risk here of losing sight of the main issue. I appreciate that the OP was talking about their client disclosing historic abuse, but THE MOST IMPORTANT POINT (in MHO) was that the alleged perpetrator was CURRENTLY in a position to abuse again because they were CURRENTLY fostering children. For me, this supersedes everything. It is this that must be acted upon, and the sooner the better.

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
ell

Post by ell » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:37 pm

Can I also please encourage anyone who is reading this thread and is not sure of what they would do, or are surprised by the responses, to look into repeating their safeguarding training, or to have a chat with their manager and/or safeguarding lead. We all have times when we have misunderstood guidance or not been given correct information, but this is one of those things where there should be no loss of pride in educating yourself.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:44 am

This tragic news story is worth reading, to remind us that we can each bring a small piece of the puzzle to the table to hopefully prevent situations like this one from occurring, let alone lasting over a year.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Gilly

Post by Gilly » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:38 pm

http://www.bps.org.uk/system/files/Publ ... _abuse.pdf

recent DCP guidelines on the management of disclosures of non-recent (historic) child sexual abuse.
You're not calling for help, are you?! ;)

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln.

BlueCat
Site Admin

Post by BlueCat » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:35 am

Whilst we don't have all of the information, we know that our client has made a report naming the alleged abuser. We know which authority this report was made to. We know that this alleged abuser is fostering. We know that the children who are being fostered are living with a potential abuser. If we believe our client (which I would), we can say that we know vulnerable children are living with an abuser and we have information which could identify that abuser. The local authority to which the report was made would be able to access that report, from our clients name, and thus access the name of the alleged abuser, who is fostering children. I genuinely cannot see why anyone would choose to allow those kids to live with an abuser. This isn't past abuse, this is current risk, so those bps guidelines aren't really the ones to access, the question here for me is about the children currently living with the abuser, not about past abuse.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes. Billy Connolly.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:11 am

After a discussion in the moderating team, this thread has been split and locked because it is an important issue to give clear information about, rather than diverging into wider discussion. Some posts have been removed from public view due to personal disclosures.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com