Mindfulness best practice and private work

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

lovelyaunt

Mindfulness best practice and private work

Post by lovelyaunt » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi all,

I’m beginning to consider doing mindfulness groups on a private basis for a bit of spare cash. My concern is whether I am qualified to run them?? I see from the mindfulness network that there are best practice guidelines and ideally I should have completed teacher training, I’ve done the MBSR 8 week programme and 2 day retreat.

There are lots of people locally running courses and they don’t appear on the list of people trained to masters level. Do I go ahead knowing others don’t necessarily have the qualifications either?

To put it in context, I’m qualified over 7 years and use mindfulness in my NHS therapeutic work with clients on a one to one basis as part of ACT.

Thanks for any responses. This is a recurring theme for me where I wonder if my clinical training served any purpose when I could have completed lots of short training courses and made more money privately as a therapist 🙈😩.

Laura x

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
miriam
Site Admin

Re: Mindfulness best practice and private work

Post by miriam » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:43 pm

I don't know the rules for mindfulness and whether it is a copyright protected thing with proper networks to enforce it, but even if it was you could make mindfulness informed groups run by a CP and sell them without worrying about it.

If making money as a private therapist is your aim, just sell your services as a CP, and register with the various insurers. You'll earn a lot more than those people with the short courses.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

lovelyaunt

Post by lovelyaunt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:16 am

Thanks Miriam, I think it’s just a confidence thing on my part. I need to know the value of my training! I just so often feel a jack of all trades, master of none...I had hoped this feeling would pass this long out of training but alas no!!

I suppose my follow up question then is around resources, I have no qualms working through guided self-help books with people on a one to one basis. But would the best idea be for me to make up my own course plan for a group rather than running directly out of, say a mindfulness 8week selfhelp book? I know if I follow the book then the attendees will get the best (I assume evidence based and most comprehensive input), but I wouldn’t want to reach copyright or anything else !

L x

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:30 am

Normally when I design groups it is to deliver something I feel competent at doing with an individual, and I then just scale it up to having several participants. I've mainly either designed my own content or followed a specific evaluated programme that I've been trained to deliver. You might be able to build on what the book offers, or think about adding elements from other work. I'd not be too certain that a self-help book is well evidenced or evaluated though!
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

lovelyaunt

Post by lovelyaunt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 pm

Thanks Miriam,

I like that point about taking what I do in session comfortably and scale it up. There’s lots that I do without thinking and could so easily deliver it to a group setting.

I should clarify, rather than self help I mean more like a workbook like the mindful way workbook or mind over mood workbook, which I would hope would be a bit more evidenced based (I’d hope) as they are written by psychologists involved in the formation of the approach.

It might be that I offer relaxation and meditation initially as that is what I would feel more comfortable doing.

Laura x