Outcome Measures

This section is for questions relating to therapy, assessment, formulation and other aspects of working with people in mental health services.

Crina44

Outcome Measures

Post by Crina44 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 am

Hello everyone!

I am currently working in an NHS adult mental health service, and we are looking at making some changes to the outcome measures that we use. We are currently using the CORE-OM as the main outcome measure but according to the feedback from clinicians it is not very useful clinically and not particularly good at capturing where the difficulties lie for the client.

I was wondering if you know of any other outcome measures that you find to be good or useful, or if you could tell me about how therapy outcomes are monitored at the service you work at! :)

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
lakeland

Re: Outcome Measures

Post by lakeland » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:11 pm

What is it that you think the measures aren't picking up? Is it more diagnosis specific, or related to functioning / quality of life / experience of the service?

Like most services, we're pretty restricted to using free measures, so RCADS, CRIES-8, SDQ (this is a child service).

Crina44

Post by Crina44 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:23 pm

lakeland wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:11 pm
What is it that you think the measures aren't picking up? Is it more diagnosis specific, or related to functioning / quality of life / experience of the service?

Like most services, we're pretty restricted to using free measures, so RCADS, CRIES-8, SDQ (this is a child service).
I work at a secondary mental health service where a large proportion of patients have experienced trauma, and for some of these clients therapy will involve getting in touch with powerful / painful feelings that may have previously been displaced in other ways, which could actually result in them scoring 'worse' symptom- wise.

I feel that the CORE is very symptom-centric, I am looking to find ways to measure changes in relation to insight, more psychological aspects of wellbeing, ability to tolerate distress, changes in interpersonal skills - these types of therapy outcomes.

hawke

Post by hawke » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:42 pm

My current placement use this one - https://www.reqol.org.uk/p/overview.html

Crina44

Post by Crina44 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:44 pm

hawke wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:42 pm
Yes I have been considering this one! How is it used - do they do the full version during the first and the last session and the short one in between?

hawke

Post by hawke » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:01 pm

Crina44 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:44 pm
hawke wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:42 pm
Yes I have been considering this one! How is it used - do they do the full version during the first and the last session and the short one in between?
It's fairly new to the service, but generally the 20-Q version is used at the start and end of treatment. It seems like a good questionnaire to use service-wide when the range of problems can be so diverse, but I personally don't find it that helpful on an individual level.