Trainee section?

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.

Do you think we should have a trainee section?

No, I don't want a trainee section (I'm not a trainee)
3%
No, I don't want a trainee section (I am a trainee)
2%
Yes, an open section (I'm not a trainee)
37%
Yes, an open section (I'm a trainee)
24%
Yes, a private section (I'm not a trainee)
5%
Yes, a private section (I'm a trainee)
14%
I don't care or I don't have a strong opinion either way
15%

Total votes: 59

BenJMan
Team Member

Re: Trainee section?

Post by BenJMan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:09 am

The above said, my take now would probably be try it, see if it gets used for anything useful and go from there.
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Toria

Post by Toria » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Personally, I think I haven't posted on the forum as much since becoming a trainee for similar reasons others have already mentioned, such as not wanting to raise anxiety on the forum. I also think I have posted less as I can ask any specific questions I have about training to the rest of my cohort and course staff.

However, I do think that having a training section may be helpful to open up more training-related discussion which doesn't really seem to happen on the forum at the moment, such as discussions around competencies, thesis research, applying for first qualified posts etc. (although as a first year that last one seems a long way off!). I guess it comes down to whether these discussions would add anything to the forum and why these topics aren't being discussed in the other sections?

Toria
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf - Jon Kabat-Zinn

Loula

Post by Loula » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:39 pm

I am indifferent about the idea of a trainee section as I think like everyone else I feel I have a lot of support at uni.

I think I probably post less now as a trainee because I'm in that limbo between posting on threads about applications etc, but not feeling experienced enough to provide answers and guidance in the way that qualified members do.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 pm

I would be interested in a trainee area to discuss trainee issues. :D

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:23 pm

How about we start a trainee thread, see how much that gets used and take it from there?
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:30 pm

eponymous85 wrote:How about we start a trainee thread, see how much that gets used and take it from there?

That's a very good idea :)
I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people ~ Maya Angelou.

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:54 pm

eponymous85 wrote:How about we start a trainee thread, see how much that gets used and take it from there?
My worry is that "a thread" is supposed to be one topic and "trainee issues" might just be a bit wider than one topic. This, I believe, will result in multiple threads that might as well be grouped in a section viewable to others.
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

Mikel Arteta

Post by Mikel Arteta » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:32 pm

Ben, do you think there isn't support for a section due to it appearing (for whatever reason) that you're not keen on having one?

I think S made a good point, if you have one, have a 'Questions for trainees' thread. As I said on my original post, otherwise applicants will just flood the threads, when comments which may be best placed elsewhere. On the same point, The Cone makes a good point.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly, all your life
you were only waiting for this moment to arise
:)

fledgling

Post by fledgling » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Here are my thoughts having read through this thread. As someone who has just been offered a place, I think I can look at this issue from the perspective of a soon-to-be trainee, as well as someone pursuing training (if I cast my mind back a week!).

I don't like the idea of a closed trainee section. I think this would perpetuate the feeling that training is very exclusive and unobtainable. I also think it is important for prospective trainees to be able to read about the 'real' experience of training, and am strongly opposed to any idea of shielding pre-training folk from the anxieties and stresses that trainees experience. We are talking about adults considering a career choice- the more information they have about the career pathway (the good and the bad elements) the better. I have always been keen to speak to people I know on courses to try and get an understanding of what it really entails, rather than naively chasing some 'holy grail'.

I would not want a trainee section that would be used for supervision-type support either. As many have said above, there is a lot of support available while on training, and I think using an internet forum rather than speaking to your supervisors/tutors would be inappropriate.

That said, I do like the idea of an open section aimed at trainees, and I think it would encourage me to visit the site more while on training. It would feel good to have a section where I could pose questions to/have discussions with/network with peers who are on other courses. It is not always clear on the general forum who the trainees are, and it would be nice to have the option of being able to direct training-related issues to a narrower target audience than the whole forum- e.g. thoughts on choosing placements, career decisions post-training, sharing information on specific client groups/models etc that might be covered differently by different courses. For those pre-training, I can't see that an open section would be a source of envy (or no more than the envy you experience every time you hear that a friend/colleague has more interviews than you/has been offered a place when you haven't, which we all quickly learn to deal with!).

I can understand the concerns that directing all the trainees to one section might discourage them from browsing the forum more widely and having input elsewhere (which has been very valuable to me in pursuing training). For me personally though, I don't think this would be the case- once I'm on the forum I tend to browse recent threads and enjoy giving advice where I can.

Overall, I support the idea of a 'trainee section' that is accessible to all (and within that section, somewhere defined for prospective trainees to ask questions).

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:01 pm

I think it would be helpful to have any trainee EPs able to post in the section too.
"We can rebuild him. We have the technology. But I don't want to spend a lot of money..."

BenJMan
Team Member

Post by BenJMan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Mikel Arteta wrote:Ben, do you think there isn't support for a section due to it appearing (for whatever reason) that you're not keen on having one?

I'm not quite sure I understand the question? Are you asking whether I believe there shouldn't be a section and therefore others are not voicing support or rallying to my point? Or that I am seeing a lack of support in this thread because that is what I happen to believe? Or something else?

The lack of support I've mentioned was based on observing and counting up the number of for and against posts/points within this thread?

matt.berlin

Post by matt.berlin » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:08 am

A potential issue for any potential trainee section is that trainees will often be able to be linked to courses on the forum, particularly (but not limited to) from the progress threads. So I think we'd need to make that clear - if you have grumbles with your course, that is where they need to be taken.

I don't think I would say I would want to "shield" people in the pre-training camp from the difficulties of training. I think there are enough training horror stories / urban myths out there that actually by being open about what training can be like would do more good than harm. However, I think I do feel that I musn't grumble too much as I'm in fortunate position to be training, when so many members of the forum want to be in just that position themselves. But perhaps this is as well another reason to be more open as it might help us all think of training as just that and not some mythical holy grail. At the end of the day it is a job - a job that I find personally enriching and that it is a great privilege for to be able to do, but it is just a job!
Ordnung ist das halbe Leben ... aber die andere Hälfte ist viel schöner!

eponymous85

Post by eponymous85 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:32 am

Borrowed Cone wrote:
My worry is that "a thread" is supposed to be one topic and "trainee issues" might just be a bit wider than one topic. This, I believe, will result in multiple threads that might as well be grouped in a section viewable to others.
Yes it might, my suggestion is to see whether that happens or not. If the thread sits there unused, it won't be an issue. If it generates several discussion topics, then it might argue for them to be grouped in to a trainee seperate section. It's why the good Lord (well, Miriam and Russ) created Moderators :D
The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many layered thing.

katja

Post by katja » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:25 pm

I pop back when I can and read the forum messages, and respond if I can (try to) help. I feel that the site could still be useful for trainees to share stuff, like the mileage thread, but I only spotted that thread though as it had 'attention trainees' on, maybe we could do that? I would be interested in discussions like the third year placement, meeting competencies, applying for first jobs threads as discussed previously.

Borrowed Cone

Post by Borrowed Cone » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Perhaps we could prefix any post subjects with [TRAINEES] or something to draw our attention?