Do we want a clinpsy conference? If so, what should it cover

The guidance for posting on www.ClinPsy.org.uk and any comments on the forum, suggestions for improvements, etc. Also information about our e-magazine, Aspire, and how to contribute or download your copy.

Do we want a clinpsy conference?

Yes, I'd be interested if the topic was "my career in clinical psychology"
25%
Yes, I'd be interested if the topic was "working with trauma through the lifespan"
30%
Yes, I'd be interested if the topic was "innovations in clinical psychology"
10%
Yes, I'd be interested if the topic was "attachment and mental health"
20%
Yes, I'd be interested if the topic was "social media and psychology"
No votes
No, I'd probably not go to any of these topics
15%

Total votes: 20

maven
Site Admin

Do we want a clinpsy conference? If so, what should it cover

Post by maven » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:54 pm

I've been thinking since we started this forum over a decade ago, about whether there would be value in hosting a clinpsy conference. But I've never quite figured out the logistics of whether there would be enough interest, and what it would cover. So I thought it was about time to set up a poll to ask for member opinions!

So let's imagine we have a venue, probably in London just for the easier transport links, and we can do it for a reasonable price (say we ask people to bring their own lunch and drinks to keep costs down and can do it for £25 per ticket) and we pick a date in September to give people plenty of notice. Now imagine we have some clinical psychologists who are prepared to speak. Would you want to buy a ticket and come along? Would this depend on the topic?

Some possible ideas for the day could be:
1) My career in clinical psychology. We'd get a wide variety of CPs to speak about their own path to training and what they have done since qualifying, including the top thing they wish they had learned earlier in their career, and what gets them fired up at the moment.
2) Working with trauma through the lifespan. We'd get people to speak about the impact of child abuse and developmental trauma, the impact of single traumatic incidents, the impact of being in the armed forces or living in a conflict zone, the nature of complex trauma and the crossover with "personality disorder" and trauma and aging.
3) Innovations in clinical psychology. We'd get speakers who have applied clinical psychology in innovative or entrepreneurial ways to tell us about their ideas, and the challenges and rewards of doing something different with their CP skills. So we'd hear about businesses, apps, training/consultancy, taking ideas abroad and cutting edge research.
4) Attachment and mental health. We'd hear talks about the nature of attachment, its impact on neuropsychological development, the impact of adverse childhood experiences, and the way they can changes our resilience/vulnerability to mental health problems. We might also get a talk on differentiating social communication difficulties from attachment, and what interventions are effective in each group.
5) Social media and psychology. We'd invite people who have used social media to communicate about psychology to speak. So perhaps @neuroskeptic @researchdigest @vaughanbell @deevybee or people who have been the centre of controversy on social media.

Or do you have a better idea? Post it here!
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Advertisement
Pearson Clinical Assessment publishes a wide range of assessments to support psychology professionals including the Gold Standard Wechsler range. To view our range please visit: pearsonclinical.co.uk/cpf
Hann30

Re: Do we want a clinpsy conference? If so, what should it c

Post by Hann30 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:58 pm

The Trauma one would be good. I'd quite happily speak from a personal point of view from being an assistant psychologist with personal experience of PTSD from a single traumatic experience

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 am

One good suggestion already "does mental illness exist?" - to allow us to consider the diagnostic debate, nature vs nurture and nature of conceptual models to explain discrepancies from self and social expectations...
Hann30 wrote:The Trauma one would be good. I'd quite happily speak from a personal point of view from being an assistant psychologist with personal experience of PTSD from a single traumatic experience
Thanks, if that is the most popular topic, we'll bear that in mind.
Maven.

Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something - Plato
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool - Shakespeare

Geishawife
Team Member

Post by Geishawife » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Late onset trauma might be interesting. Work done with people who have demonstarted the first PTSD type symptoms 20, 30 or more years after the event.

maven
Site Admin

Re: Do we want a clinpsy conference? If so, what should it cover

Post by maven » Wed May 02, 2018 11:49 pm

That sounds interesting, Geishawife. Are there any papers or known speakers on that topic?

It would also be nice to get more votes - unless the low vote numbers represent apathy towards the idea?
Maven.

lingua_franca

Post by lingua_franca » Sun May 06, 2018 6:07 pm

maven wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:49 pm
That sounds interesting, Geishawife. Are there any papers or known speakers on that topic?

It would also be nice to get more votes - unless the low vote numbers represent apathy towards the idea?
I think it's more that most users don't notice this subforum. I didn't realise this topic was here until today.

I'd attend a conference on trauma across the lifespan or one on attachment and mental health. The careers topic seems the most logical one for a forum designed for aspiring CPs, but I feel that I've had enough careers guidance from the forum itself without needing to go to a conference for it.
"Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
"Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.
- A.A. Milne.

maven
Site Admin

Post by maven » Tue May 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks. That's a helpful comment.

I guess I assumed that most people who sign in use "read new posts" to see everything added since their last visit like I do. But I think we've mentioned it on our twitter/facebook too.
Maven.