Struggling Trainee PWP, advice please?

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Keeprunning

Struggling Trainee PWP, advice please?

Post by Keeprunning » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:38 am

Hi
I am just wondering if anyone else has felt the same.

I am about to qualify as a PWP but have struggled most of the way through with my anxiety.

I feel dread everyday before speaking to patients and feel wholly unequipped to work with and deal with what comes through the door. I feel I've just been put in a boat and pushed out too sea.

My own mental health, confidence and self-esteem have been eroded away.

I really wanted to do the job but I am considering my options.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same feeling? Anyone trained as a pwp and then quit to go and do something else?

Rarara

Re: Struggling Trainee PWP, advice please?

Post by Rarara » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:45 am

I am not and have not but just wanted to reach out and tell you that I’m listening and giving virtual hugs.

jazzydwi

Post by jazzydwi » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:45 pm

I haven't been a PWP, so I'm no help there, but have definitely experienced dread before going to work in a previous role unrelated to psychology. I still get a bit anxious before seeing a new patient and have been working as therapist for 3 years now.

Are you getting supervision with someone you feel you can share this with? Either managerial or clinical? I would strong advise talking it through as you might be able to reflect on whats contributing to feeling out of your depth and if possible to see if any support or accommodations can be offered.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:09 pm

Your Occupational Health department might also be worth talking with.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:06 pm

That sounds really hard Keeprunning, I'm sorry you're going through that. I agree with jazzydwi - it would be worth talking through this with a supervisor at work to reflect on what's contributing to this feeling. I'm not sure reading your message whether you feel there are ways work could support you better so you feel less lost at sea, or whether you feel that this job is basically not the right fit for you. You say that your mental health and confidence have been eroded away - do you know what it is about the course or the work that makes you feel that way? Was it different in other jobs before, and if so do you know why that might be?

Wishing you well.