Disability and the PWP Trainee Role

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Jah2075

Disability and the PWP Trainee Role

Post by Jah2075 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi all,

Would having (well managed) bipolar disorder stop me from being accepted as a trainee PWP?

I'd presume not as all trusts are meant to be inclusive but you never know...

Thanks ahead for any answers to this post... :D :D :D

bunnydiver

Re: Disability and the PWP Trainee Role

Post by bunnydiver » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi there!

I have just started my trainee PWP role, and we had a long lecture yesterday about disability and how they urge us to come forward if we have a disability of any kind. They advertised their disability support service as one where you will still be marked to the same standard as any other trainee, but they would put measures in place to ensure you are not at a disadvantage. They encouraged each of us to take a short test which could acknowledge any indicators of a potential disability which may have been previously unrecognised, and what to do if you need support with this. I have even requested support as I have a learning disability, and felt comfortable with the way they proposed their support service to me.

From this, it looks to me as though you shouldn't be discouraged from applying. My course has told us time and time again that the main thing they want to see from us is organisation, time-management, and a commitment to the PWP role in an IAPT service. If you believe you can still achieve that despite having a diverse need to other PWPs, then there should be no reason why they wouldn't consider you.

Hope this makes sense. I'm with the Sheffield training course by the way. If other trainees say differently then it may be depending on which university is running the course or which service is sponsoring you, but I had interviews for multiple services and so far none have looked at my disability as a hindrance. So I guess it's up to you to make the decision as to if you think it would affect your ability to train as a PWP or not.

miriam
Site Admin

Post by miriam » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:11 am

If it is well managed, and you declare it to OH, then it shouldn't be a barrier. But I think it is legitimate to have a discussion about whether there might be issues that resonate with your own, and how you monitor your own mental health and recognise any difficulties that emerge - as nobody wants to put you into a situation that will cause your own mental health to decline.
Miriam

See my blog at http://clinpsyeye.wordpress.com

lunathecat

Post by lunathecat » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:17 pm

Hello Jah2075, if it is well managed I cannot see why not. There are many trainees on my cohort who have used their own examples of mental health struggles in our training (some pretty severe) and they are fine in the role. Hope that helps you know that you're definitely not alone!