Trainee PWP Application Assistance Requested

This section is for discussion relating to the Layard report, and subsequent schemes like Improving Access to Psychological Therapies where lower intensity inteventions are offered in primary care
Ygrimmador

Trainee PWP Application Assistance Requested

Post by Ygrimmador » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:49 pm

Good afternoon all!

After a very up and down year, I've recently made the decision to start applying for Trainee PWP posts. I researched around the area and after reading about IAPT and Low Intensity work, I feel it's a great opportunity to kickstart a career in psychological therapy.

So far things are going okay - I've been put on a reserve list for a position but have been unsuccessful for the other posts I have applied for in this round of job adverts (only around 5, I was a bit late to the party for the Winter season).

Is there anybody who might be able to offer a bit of advice on how to improve my application? I don't really have anybody in my personal or professional circles that I can really ask. My experience with the positions I have been unsuccessful and the one I was put on the reserve list for is that it is a bit of a struggle to get feedback from application teams (understandable though, given the immense amount of applications they receive for these posts).

I'm happy to share the application and would be extremely grateful for any constructive feedback that might help me enhance my chances for the next round of recruitment opportunities in the Spring :-)

All the best,

Y

CynicMe

Re: Trainee PWP Application Assistance Requested

Post by CynicMe » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:52 pm

Hi!

I remember what it was like when I was applying for trainee PWP posts. It was about 6 years ago so not sure if much has changed with the process since then but I am happy to answer any questions you have about the application. I should say that I did get accepted onto a trainee PWP post and then worked for 3yrs as a qualified PWP before doing High Intensity training.

Ygrimmador

Post by Ygrimmador » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:07 pm

CynicMe wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:52 pm
Hi!

I remember what it was like when I was applying for trainee PWP posts. It was about 6 years ago so not sure if much has changed with the process since then but I am happy to answer any questions you have about the application. I should say that I did get accepted onto a trainee PWP post and then worked for 3yrs as a qualified PWP before doing High Intensity training.
Hi CynicMe,

Thank you for your response!

Thank you so much for offering your assistance - do you have any pearls of wisdom for what to highlight in a personal statement for the role? I have a fair amount of experience as a Support Worker and some time as both a Mental Health Practitioner and Assistant Psychologist, but it's knowing what from my experience potential employers and training programs would be most interested in hearing about the most.

CynicMe

Post by CynicMe » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:50 pm

Prior to applying for the trainee PWP post I only had experience as a support worker. I think my advice would be what most people do with job applications which is to get the job spec and go through the essential and desirable criteria and link it specifically to your own experience.

I remember some things that I highlighted in my personal statement included:
-personal qualities e.g. empathy, organisation skills and how I showed this in my previous roles
-understanding the importance of evidence-based practice
-that I know what confidentiality is
-how crucial supervision was to me
-awareness of nice guidelines and stepped care model (essentially knowing it exists)
-acknowledgement of PWP work being fast-pace
-and the usual stuff like team work, willingness to learn, example of how I dealt with a stressful situation ect

These are some of the things I remember off the top of my head. Hope it helps and good luck!

Ygrimmador

Post by Ygrimmador » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:58 pm

CynicMe wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:50 pm
Prior to applying for the trainee PWP post I only had experience as a support worker. I think my advice would be what most people do with job applications which is to get the job spec and go through the essential and desirable criteria and link it specifically to your own experience.

I remember some things that I highlighted in my personal statement included:
-personal qualities e.g. empathy, organisation skills and how I showed this in my previous roles
-understanding the importance of evidence-based practice
-that I know what confidentiality is
-how crucial supervision was to me
-awareness of nice guidelines and stepped care model (essentially knowing it exists)
-acknowledgement of PWP work being fast-pace
-and the usual stuff like team work, willingness to learn, example of how I dealt with a stressful situation ect

These are some of the things I remember off the top of my head. Hope it helps and good luck!
That's amazing, thank you so much for sharing your experience of applying! I shall have a look through my statement and see if I have highlighted these (or similar things) enough in my own application. Thank you! :)